We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland in November?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ladysmith, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Disneyland in November?

We are planning a trip to DL Nov 8-15 of this year- myself, husband and 5 year old daughter. We are thinking of 4 day park hopper, so would probably go to the parks Nov 9, 11, 13 and 14. We want to see as many Christmas decorations as possible, plus the Christmas parade etc. Does anyone know whether we can expect DL to be full-on Christmas by then? Or maybe we should go the next week just to be sure.

United States
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland in November?

If I recall it will be full-on Christmas.

We like early November but de's will alert you to events that time of year.

I think Veterans Day may be busy.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,522 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland in November?

Welcome to the forums Tara H,

Nov 8-11 will likely be pretty busy at Disneyland. Its a 4 day Holiday weekend for alot of Schools since Tues is Veterans Day. Nov 9th is also busy as its Choc Walk in the Park which is a walk for Charity at Disneyland. And Nov 14-16 this year they have added a new Half Marathon at Disneyland. So all of those things make that week very busy at Disneyland.

Christmastime each year is on a different date sometime in mid Nov. Likely for this year sometime between Nov 9th and 15th. No official dates will show up usually till August at least sometime each year, so it makes it hard to preplan a little.

You should avoid though the week of Thanksgiving as its busy at Disneyland. Nov 23-30 for 2014.

The best time in later Nov is likely to be Nov 17th-21 according to Touring Plans which is a Crowd Predictor website, so while not a sure thing, its usually pretty accurate.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland in November?

I was there last year on the 8th and 9th of November (a Friday and Saturday), which were actually the only days that we could all make it. Disneyland has the ABC filming of their section of the Christmas Day at Disney Parks on either the first or second weekend in November. In 2013 Halloween fell so close to the first weekend that, apparently, there was not enought time to prepare to do it then. The same will be true for 2014.

Filming of the parade is on a Saturday and it takes hours. It is not like a regular parade because filming requires different angles and retakes. Many people show up, though, on the off chance they will show in background during filming and be seen on TV (they wear Christmas colors or hats). There is a stage set up in front of the castle for performances of singers. Filming can be Saturday afternoon, parts of Sunday, and might even be done on Monday depending upon performers schedules or needed retakes. If it rains on Saturday, they might move the parade filming from Sat to Sun. So this is what you might expect for Nov 8,9, and possibly the 10th.

Cameras and crew sets up the day before. So that could possibly be Nov 7 this year. Here is what to expect during the day(s) of set up and filming. The castle is blocked off in front and side entrances are as well. The central hub in front of the castle is blocked. Some equipment may be tall enough to see while looking at the castle or trying to take a photo. Because of the stage set up the best unobstructed view of the castle is either the backside (from Fantasyland) or from Main Street. The Town Square section of Main Street, in the middle, will be roped off and camera and crew set up there.

Rides and entertainment effected:

Main Street Vehicles

Possible temporary closure of Fantasyland rides near the castle during stage performance.

Disneyland Band will not perform

Dapper Dans schedule cut back

Only one parade on filming day, in the evening.

An added pre-parade (weather permitting) on Friday prior to the evening parade, of Dance the Magic, hundreds of young dancers from around the country.

During the fireworks, on the weekend of the filming and on nights the castle and front hub is roped off, guests cannot view fireworks in areas near the castle. The viewing area begins at the rear end of the hub (central plaza).

Some of DCA park could be effected by ABC filming if a performance will be filmed there as well on that weekend.

Almost all holiday decorations will be in place by the dates you are asking about.. The garland that hangs over Main Street, from one side to the other, is said to be a problem for cameras that need to move through the street during filming of the parade, so I would not expect to see those until after ABC is gone.

When we were there all holiday shows and the holiday parade had begun, even the Jingle Jangle Jamboree (a show which should change this year). The cast member who was our host (our trip was a sweepstakes prize) described the holiday parade as a "soft opening". I would say only expect the holiday shows to start that weekend if Disneyland wants to do soft openings prior to official, which is likely to be after the 11th. It's a Small World was reopened by our dates in the holiday version. I actually think they want to have all holiday shows ready for the families and kids coming for the Dance the Magic, but just guessing.

If you want to find out the dates that ABC will be there, keep checking the Dance the Magic website. They should have dates by mid to late summer for the kids who will need to register and audition.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland in November?

https://www.dancethemagic.com/events.php

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland in November?

If you want to change to the dates listed above from Touring Plans, don't worry about whether the fireworks show will be presented, the Christmas version is scheduled for every night. The only night for Fantasmic during those dates will be on Friday. Everything with Disney is subject to change, though, and weather could possibly effect the entertainment offerings on one day or another.

Chinchilla...
Level Contributor
402 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland in November?

hi I am going 30th oct to 11th novemeber don't have a choice with work and from Australia it was cheap so for me its pot luck what is closed ..and I know to see the fireworks on the weekends but we went early nov 2010 and the weekdays were nice and quiet and veterans day fell on the weekend and it was way busier then

but im there on my own,, to smell the roses and just relax I mean I will be in the happiest place on earth how can I not,,,, enjoy paula

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland in November?

We are also going in November. We arrive on the 3rd and leave on the 13th. A group of 6 adults and 7 children (ages 1-13). We have rented a house and are purchasing the SoCal City pass and may add another day at Disney depending how tired everyone is. I remember when we took our daughters many years ago we planned too much and were exhausted. I would love input as to which days would be the best to visit the different parks. Also our youngest granddaughter will turn 1 on Friday November 7th. I'm wondering if that would be a good day to spend at Disneyland and make reservations for lunch or supper at either the Rainforest Cafe or Big Thunder Ranch and order a cake or would it be best spent somewhere else? We are planning to go back to the house in the afternoons for naps and relaxation on Disney days. Thanks for any advice.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,522 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland in November?

Mrs_Ell_63

As you can see from the previous posts, part of your dates will be pretty busy at Disneyland. And it would depend on when exactly Christmastime will start this year if you wanted the Christmas theme and parade ect which is the best one Imo. Before picking certain dates to visit Disneyland of your dates, you may want to wait till sometime in Sept/Oct timeframe around when the specific date for the starting of Christmastime for this year will usually show up. That way you could see some of Christmastime possibly unless that is not important to you.

Hours during weekdays in Nov is usually something like 10am till 8pm M-Thurs, with longer hours of around 8am till 12pm Fri,Sat, Sun. Regular Fireworks and Fantasmic shows are usually only on the weekends, Fri,Sat, Sun Except after Chirstmastime starts, then there would as said be a nightly Fireworks show. There is usually always a nightly World of Color show.

Nov 3-7 should have the lowest crowds of your dates, but unlikely that Christmastime would have started by then.

As far as which Park to visit on certain days, its pretty much the same crowdwise. Unless you want to factor in the early entry into California Adventure Park on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun for guests staying at one of the Disneyland owned Hotels. Or Magic Morning days for Disneyland Park on Tues, Thurs, Sat, which has 1 Magic Morning offered with any 3 day and up Disneyland ticket. So if you want to have a little less crowds right when the Parks open, you can pick a Park to visit thats not doing an early entry that day so no people already within the Park before you which may help somewhat with crowds.

Big Thunder Ranch would be the funnest area to eat at to me. Its a relaxed atmosphere, ect. However, that would be dependant upon what the weather may be like since it outdoors.

There are not many places to stay near Disneyland that are homes. None are in very close walking distance to Disneyland. If you can tell us where you are staying, we can likely tell you more info, ect.

Just so your aware also, Universal Studios is about a 1 hour drive North of the Anaheim area. San Diego is about a 2 hour drive South of Anaheim. San Diego is worth a few days of a visit at least, there is lots to do there, and LA has lots of attractions.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 07:03
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland in November?

Thanks for the input. We are staying in a house approx 2 miles away in Garden Grove and will be renting 2 minivans. We do know about the driving distances as we have been to both before. We were thinking of going to Universal Studios on a weekend day to avoid heavy traffic. We do understand it will be busier. We also know we will have to go to Disneyland at least 1 day on the weekend to see the fireworks, etc.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,522 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland in November?

You might want to consider something closer that wont require that you drive and Park every day at Disneyland.

For example there are homes and Condos located on the West side of Disneyland in the Walnut/Magic way area that are popular to stay at if its important to you to have a rental. They are about a 10 min walk to the Mickey and Friends Parking lot where you can pick up the free Tram there that goes into Disneyland. Its about about a 20 min walk from that area to the Turnstiles. Just something for you to consider.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 12 May 2014, 22:18