We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening non-theme park activities

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Evening non-theme park activities

We will have a couple of free evenings during our trip - anything fun to do in the area? We have 3 Disney days and a day at Universal so looking for something not related to a theme park. We have 2 teens (13 and 17). We have a car and don't mind driving a bit. Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,598 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening non-theme park activities

In the "top questions" at the top of the Anaheim forum page there is a list of things to to in the Anaheim area.

One interesting one is Flightdeck1 which is a real fighter Jet Simulator. You wear an actual flight suit, ect, its pretty fun, and Its just a short drive from Disneyland.

http://www.flightdeck1.com/

Mentioned in this post
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
105 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,887 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening non-theme park activities

Maybe head to the beach and have a bbq or a picnic and watch the sun set? We usually go to Bolsa Chica Beach. www.huntingtonbeachevents.com/firepit.html

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening non-theme park activities

Since you have a car, I'd recommend heading to the coast. Huntington, Newport (including Balboa Island) and Laguna are all reasonably close. http://www.balboaisland.com/

Maybe take a sunset boat ride around Newport Harbor. Maybe eat dinner at sunset overlooking the Pacific in Laguna. Perhaps a bike rental along the strand in Huntington for people watching?

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
1,212 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
435 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening non-theme park activities

Casa and Tim, that was EXACTLY what I was thinking... Bolsa Chica is great but, if you want more stuff to do and ALSO a pretty sunset, the Fun Zone is perfect.

If you are planning on getting down there by 6 or so, you will have almost 2 hours of sunlight so, I would consider choosing one of the great suggested spots above and sticking with that and maybe using another night to go to another. Fun Zone one night and Laguna another?

You might also, if one of those days is a weekend day, head up to LA and Hollywood. It's not horrible traffic and you can see the Chinese Theater and go up to the Hollywood Sign above Lake Hollywood while it's still light out if you leave by around 5ish... Just make sure you go to the Hollywood Sign first as that is "light sensitive" and they don't light it up anymore so, you need to see it during the day.

I like Flight Deck a lot and have done it a bunch with my sons (the last 3 are all teens now) but it's pricey. Never seem to get out of there for less than $225-$300. Happy knows all the best discounts so, maybe there is a better price then I am used to...

Hope that helps and I wish you happy travels!

Tom

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood Sign
Hollywood Sign
6,565 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
435 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening non-theme park activities

PS - on your Universal day, leave Anaheim by around 7:30am. We do an Early Arrival and guests always tell me that they get done with everything that they want to ride in the first two hours of their visit because the tour buses don't start arriving until 10:30-11am. That first little bit of time is an amazing gift.

Also, look for freeways with Car Pool Lanes. Do NOT take the 5 all the way up... it's a disaster almost anytime of day. Do the 5 carpool to the 91 West Carpool connector to the 710 North to the 10 West to the 101 North. It sounds like a lot of freeways but it will save you 30-to 45 minutes, each way... No carpool on the last 3 freeways but, there's nothing you can do about

(that unless you go onto Metro.net and buy a transponder to take the 110 Express lanes up into LA off the 91 but that's a big expense for a one day trip).

Do not do the 110 Express lanes without a transponder - even with 3 or more ppl in the car, they still give you a ticket...

A lot of information but... passing all those people sitting in their non-carpool lane vehicles is almost the best part of the drive for me and I hope it helps you... TS

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening non-theme park activities

Thanks for all the suggestions! We are planning another day to go to LA to view the Hollywood sign, Walk of Fame and Venice Beach for people watching. Unfortunately, both this day and the Universal day will be a weekday so I really appreciate the tips for the drive. This is the end of a longer trip that starts in Sedona so I didn't want to do 3 straight Disney days and then switch hotels again to get closer to LA. Plus I think Universal opens at 8am on the day we are visiting so I think we will be leaving at 6:30 am!

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood Sign
Hollywood Sign
6,565 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
8,933 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
435 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening non-theme park activities

Smart thinking on Universal.

I posted a link to directions for a do-it-yourself Hollywood tour in another thread. I'm on my phone now so I don't remember the name of the site but I think it was www.doityourselfHollywoodtour.com.

Anyway, if that would help you and you want to look through past posts that I've done, I think I posted last week and if anyone else remembers, maybe you could Posted here. You can't get to two separate points in the universe more than going from Sedona Arizona to Disneyland

I hope it's a great trip! Tom

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,598 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening non-theme park activities

The Flight Deck 1 site does have packages starting at $59 a person, which is pretty reasonable for whats offered Imo anyway. Its for about a 40 min "flight" with about 20 min of "flight preparation" time before that which is almost as fun as the flight since they have you dress up in flight suites, and you go into a room where you are instructed like you were a pilot.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,057 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening non-theme park activities

I would head to Laguna Beach, Newport Beach or Huntington Beach.

I didn't catch when you are coming, but in summer Laguna Beach will have several festivals going on and the Downtown area is pretty busy at night.

Newport Beach, down at the Balboa Pier you have fun restaurants, the Fun Zone and you can ride the ferry to Balboa Island and walk to 'downtown" there for a frozen banana or Balboa Bar.

Huntington Beach at Main Street you can go have dinner at the pier at Duke's or Sandy's and enjoy the vibe there, lots of surf wear and the like.

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Balboa Pier
Balboa Pier
277 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
1,212 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
435 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening non-theme park activities

I second Scott's suggestion. Each of the three beaches are completely different and each offer unique opportunities that you won't experience at another. I didn't think about the festivals in Laguna and yes, those are amazing and Laguna gets my vote for beautiful sunsets.

If you happen to be going down to the beach on a Tuesday night, Huntington is also a great stop. I think that's the night they have their Surf City Nights and classic cars. They close down Main Street and have rides and booths and all kinds of interesting things. A really fun night.

Scott would be the best to share that information because I don't remember what night it is And he's a local.

Honestly, going to three different beaches on three different nights would not be overkill. It's not what you would think as "been there done that"…

Happy, thank you very much for confirming my thoughts about Flightdeck. I said $225-$300 and I was right on. $59 per person times four people is pretty expensive. Especially for an hour. But it is a neat Thing to do. Just, as I said, pricey...

Plenty of information so, I'll let others comment. I hope it's been helpful and wish you a great trip

Tom

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA