We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland cash or card

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
245 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland cash or card

Hi all....two quick questions if I may....first question...... do all the eateries and stores within disneyland accept debit cards or are they mostly cash only? I just don't want to have to carry large amounts of cash about the parks, if I don't have to....second question....Ice Hockey tickets for the next season, when do they go on sale and would they be hard to get to a game, in Anaheim, if we left it till we got over there in February next yr?? Thanks for any help offered

Sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland cash or card

Hi

All stores and restaurants we used accepted cards but the ice cream carts etc I think only accepted cash. You could always purchase a disney gift card and use it throughout the park. We purchased two for our daughters and they used them to purchase items in Disneyland and downtown disney.

Australia
Level Contributor
245 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland cash or card

Thanks very much HoseB28, do you just get those cards at disneyland itself?

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland cash or card

Just about everywhere will take a debit card. There may be a few places like food carts, balloons and cast members that walk around selling things would be the only places that do not take debit. Even the lockers take debit cards.

I do not think the Disney gift card will work anywhere that your debit card will not work as they are the credit card looking type that need to be read just like your debit/credit card.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 15:47
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,533 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland cash or card

Disney gift card as suggested cannot be used everywhere, they do have some limitations. As well as if you have any balance left over, you would still have to use the Card somewhere, as they dont return for cash.

Gift Cards cant be used at some of the food or vendor carts that roam around both Parks, nor in Downtown Disney with the exception of the Disney store there and at some places with the Park.

https://www.disneygiftcard.com/terms/

Food carts or Vendor Carts that sell a variety of items you are likely to want such as baloons, light up type of things for the night, Ice cream, pretzels, ect and cold beverages all require you have cash for a purchase, so you would want to have some cash with you.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 16:03
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,816 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland cash or card

You can purchase the Disney Gift Cards on line at disneyland.com, at the resort's ticket booths, or even at Target.

Chase Visa has a version of their visa card called Disney Rewards Visa and they offer as a bonus a Disney Gift Card after the first charge (no minumum). I don't know if this is offered outside of the US, but their website would have details. The card could be anywhere from $50 to $200, depending on the offer and the approval. When they first started this years ago, it was only a $15 gift card. I don't think they are that low anymore.

I liked using my Disney Gift Card because I could keep track nicely of how much I was spending in the park. The receipts tell you the balance. I like to use a mix of a credit card, cash, and a Disney Card (when I have one). I would rather use the gift card than a credit card. I don't have a debit card, but if I did I would prefer to use a credit card inside the parks.

Hopefully, you are using a credit card if you have a card hire because most will not accept a debit card - or at least will put a hold over and above the total amount until the card is returned. Of course, pre-paying can be an option, though not sn attractive one for traveling.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 12:21
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,816 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland cash or card

Sorry, meant to type "car hire".

Australia
Level Contributor
245 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland cash or card

Thanks heaps for all the info, not hiring a car - driving on the wrong side of road AND drivers side of the car, just isn't for me... But do only have a debit card no credit card, would the hotel be the same in regards to taking a security deposit??? Any one have any info about the ice hockey and tickets

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,533 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland cash or card

>>>"would the hotel be the same in regards to taking a security deposit??? ">>>

Yes, very likely they will put a substantial hold on your debit card. Sometimes that wont be released back to you for weeks. What you can do is when you arrive tell them before you give them your card that you want to pay a cash deposit for the hold for incidentals ect that they were planning to put on the card. That way you will just get it back when you leave. But each Hotel can be quite different with thier policies, so you should check with the Hotel your staying at to see how much they would require in cash.

Its really more helpful to have a Credit Card in alot of cases such as Hotels vs a Debit Card as the hold is placed on a credit card, and then can easily be reversed when you leave the Hotel.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland cash or card

Does your debit card have a Mastercard or Visa logo on it? If so, you can use it to check in to a hotel or rent a car most of the time. If your card does not have a logo, you for sure cannot rent a car and I think you will have trouble at hotels.

As for how much a hotel will hold, you need to contact each hotel and ask. How quickly the hold comes off your card will need to be asked at your bank.

Australia
Level Contributor
245 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland cash or card

yes it does have the Visa logo on it, so i can just press "credit' on the machine