We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

We will be travelling to Anaheim in December with my daughter, who will have just turned 5years old by then. She is very tall for her age. Does she need a booster seat in any vehicle smaller than a coach? We are looking at using a taxi a couple of times.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,659 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

IF she is taller than 4ft. 9in. she doesn't need a special seat but she must ride in the back seat of a car. IF she is shorter than that then she needs a car seat, even in a taxi.These rules are specific to the state of California.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 13:27
Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

Ok thankyou. She will still need a car seat then unfortunately. Not sure how we will tackle that! Thankyou very much for your help :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,659 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

IF you rent your own vehicle you can add a car seat and then have everything you need.

Lots of folks from Oz do that even though we drive on the "other side" of the road.

Some people also bring one from home and just use it on the plane.

IF you take buses you don't need one.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

well you can purchase one and bring it with you or you can buy one in a store like Target or Toys R Us after you first land. A car service would bring a car seat with them. A car seat is not needed in large buses. There is a wealth of info on car seats in the Top Question on the California forum -- a must read

Frankly I would worry about what is best and safest for the child more than what the law says or whether the child is taller or shorter for her age. Yes there are laws for things but when it comes to children and safety, common sense governs things for us

Good Morning Riff :-)

Edited: 03 July 2014, 14:53
Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,659 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

G'mornin' Belo

here is the article that belom mentioned. It is at the bottom of the Top Question list soyou may not see it easily:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c183583/Califo…

Edited: 03 July 2014, 14:56
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,603 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

Welcome to the forums Katie D,

Keep in mind that a child that age would just need a simple booster seat at most, if they are under the height listed, which is just a base to sit up that raises them up a little from the regular seat of the car.

Those are inexpensive around $15 usd and available almost everywere, like the Target that just down the street from Disneyland and can be easily reached by the Art Shuttle service which runs for a small fee per person back and forth to Hotels in the Disneyland area.

Where were you planning on taking a Taxi to? It might be able to be reached by other options such as the Art Shuttle I mentioned. That is a large bus that does not require car Seats, nor does the regular bus service. The Disneyland resort Express which goes from the Airport to Disneyland for a fee also does not require Car Seats ( or booster seats)

Edited: 03 July 2014, 17:39
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,603 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

Zippy Shuttle is one of the only regular Shuttle service I know of that offers Car or Booster Seats if you prearrange that ahead of time. They offer a private transport along with thier regular Shuttle service if you contact them directly. However, they are not likely to want to take you short distances like a Cab would offer.

Mentioned in this post
Zippy Shuttle
Zippy Shuttle
57 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

Didn't say I wasn't going to do what was safest for her. In Australia you dont require a car seat in a taxi. My comment about her being tall for her age was to do with perhaps for laws in California she may already exceed the maximum height so I don't know why ur reading into things unnecessarily. Thanks for the advice on other transport methods everyone and if I can buy a booster up the road for $15 then I will probably do that :)

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,077 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

>>>Zippy Shuttle is one of the only regular Shuttle service I know of that offers Car or Booster Seats if you prearrange that ahead of time. <<<

4Most Coach also has car seats available if you arrange with them in advance.

http://www.4mostcoach.com/

Mentioned in this post
Zippy Shuttle
Zippy Shuttle
57 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Seats for 5yo required in taxis in USA

Hi Katie

We are travelling with 5 children under 8 and am bringing from Australia 3 booster seats and a car seat for the baby (Hawaiian airlines request you bring your own car seat)

We are using 4mostcoach for our transfer from Anaheim to Disneyland and from then on have hired 2 vehicles but if you are using taxi's probably easier to bring or buy a small booster seat then you always have it.. I read a funny story on the Las Vegas forum where a taxi driver asked a lady to put her 4 yo son's head in her lap, she presumed it was because he didnt have car seats and didnt want to get booked

I appreciate your comments and frankly I think of all the years we have travelled with kids and grandkids and never had to have car seats, I appreciate safety is upmost but so is crossing a road or travelling 14 hours in a plane, seat belts are only recommended to keep on at all times but we know turbulance happens and if you are walking a child to the toilets, then it can be very dangerous

Plus why are buses considered any more safer than a modern vehicle fitted with air bags and all safety equipment .. buses are exempted, again I think a child failling in a bus can be just as dangerous

Just saying

Enjoy your holiday, I know we are as we will be there for Halloween and cant imagine how exciting that will be for the older children

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA