We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

I am going to Disneyland for a week in October, and during my time there I am due to take a dose of my medication - I self-inject it once every two weeks. I see on the Disneyland website, on the First Aid page, that containers can be provided for disposal of hypodermic needles; mine is actually a pen, but I assume that doesn't matter and they will dispose of it for me also?

And will they allow me to do my injection in First Aid also? Will I be able to bring my injection pen into the park to do it, or will it be stopped at security?

Thanks for any input - it will be one less thing to worry about, if I know that I can take it without any hassle! :)

california
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

My guess would be yes. I'm not sure what medication you have, but I assume it has your name on it. I"m thinking about a diabetic who would need to inject insulin. I"m pretty confident they would even prefer that you do it in first aid. I do know that at the baby center they have high chairs, little toddler potties and a curtained off nursing area. These facilities are provided for guests to make use of. I would think the same would apply to First Aid. The only thing I"ve ever done in first aid is go there for pain reliever, tylenol. You just have to sign your name on their little log sheet then you can take the medicine. Hope this helps.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,064 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

Security stopping you is not an issue. Folks carry epi pens all the time to prevent allergic reactions so your injection pen would not cause alarm.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

Thanks for your replies!

It's a Humira pen that I use, but the pen is very similar in function to an Epipen or insulin pen for diabetes.

I'll be sure to have it in it's original box, which will have the pharmacy sticker on it with my name; I'll have a doctor's note for it for flying anyway (I'm coming from Ireland), so I can bring that, just in case there is any question over it.

I'd obviously rather do it in my hotel room and then I wouldn't have to carry it anywhere, but then I have nowhere to dispose of it, so the First Aid seems like the next best thing!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

Your best bet is to do it at the hotel and not worry about all the logistics in the Park itself.

I'm pretty sure every hotel has a sharps container to dispose of any and all sharps, such as needles.

What is the name of the hotel you are staying at? I will gladly call them to verify that they have what you need.

Dr. Z

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,816 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

There are Sharps Containers almost everywhere nowadays.

I just checked on Google and found what I thought would be true. There is a Sharps Container in every bathroom in Disneyland now. So you don't have to make a special trip to the First Aid station. (Sure wish those had been around when my daughter needed injections. We carried used syringes in an old yogurt tub and duct taped it closed.)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

Oh wow, thanks so much! I didn't even think of looking on Google for sharps bins in the bathrooms! I've never seen them in public places like that over here, so it never crossed my mind to look!

I didn't realise it would be that easy - I'd visions of myself doing something like you said, or trying to bring it back home to my own sharps bin & getting stopped at security... Talk about paranoia!

Dr Z - thanks for your kind offer! I'm staying in the good neighbour hotel, Quality Inn & Suites. To be honest, it didn't even cross my mind either that they would possibly have a way to dispose of them! I can drop them an email myself & ask if they can help me out with it.

Guess I got too worried, too quickly! Still getting used to taking the injections, so I do over-think anything to do with them!

Thanks for your advice! :)

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

Surprise, surprise... I learn something every day....

I called both of the Quality Inn & Suites located by Disney and NEITHER has any way to dispose of sharps. What's amazing is that they sadi nobody has ever asked them that before!

Oh well.... it would appear the restrooms in the Park will be available to dispose of the needle...

Enjoy.

Dr. Z

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,816 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

One more thing (that I learned after my daughter had been using a self injectable med for a while) ...

Hotels that don't have a fridge in the room should provide one to you for medicine. I think Humira is supposed to be refrigerated, so if any hotel room doesn't have a mini-fridge, ask for one.

I heard about someone's slightly wacky experience of a motel owner suggesting that the med be kept in the locked motel office, but it really should be with you.

I think pre-planning for all these special needs is a great idea. Then you can really relax and have fun on your worry-free vacation.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

Dr Z - thanks so much, so nice of you to ring them and check that for me! It is quite strange that they've never had a request like that before, but at least now I know! Really appreciate it!

PacificNWFamily - you're right it does need to be refrigerated but it can be out of the fridge for up to two weeks, once it's going to be used in that time. I'm going on a Tuesday & will inject on Thursday so it will be fine to be out of the fridge. Thanks for pointing it out though!

Now that's one less thing to stress about - can cross it off my list! Thanks again! :)

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: administering my own medication (injection) in First Aid?

Since you only inject yourself every two weeks, I would certainly do it in your hotel room rather than in a public area of Disneyland where you risk an ideal sanitary environment. If you cannot locate a sharps disposal container outside of the park, I don't think it will be a problem for you to bring the used syringe into the park for disposal in an appropriate container.