We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Californian Vs. Disneyland Hotel

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Save Topic
Grand Californian Vs. Disneyland Hotel

Hello, our family is planing a mid September trip to Disney (5 days & 4 nights, and it's our first time staying at one of the park hotels). At first we didn't even question it we chose the Grand Californian, I mean yes it's a bit pricey but the convenience of being basically right next to both parks it's great right? Now we are not so sure, I mean we can get a nice room at the Disneyland hotel for like $100 less. Could I get someone who has stayed at both hotels help us by letting us know if the convenience of being right next to the parks really worth it? or is there more to the Grand Californian than convenience? Thank you.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Californian Vs. Disneyland Hotel

Well, a few of the places across the street from the Disneyland Resort Main Pedestrian Entrance are actually a shorter walk than the Grand Californian and a much shorter walk than the Disneyland Hotel. What I see that is attractive about staying at either of these is the immersion in the Disney feeling that the resort has.

I have not stayed at either of these hotels, but have visited the grounds. Last year I won a stay in the Dream Suite inside Disneyland Park, but we were to park and meet our hosts at the Grand Californian. I felt the valet parking was very well orchestrated and the Disney service was great. I would be happy to choose to stay at either of these hotels, if I could afford it. I would choose the Disneyland Hotel over the Grand Californian because of the room size and furnishings and because the walk would not matter to me -if I had no young children with me - and had that resort feel. I know I could still relax in the Grand Californian lobby and lounge as well as use their private entrance to DCA Park. Also, if I wanted a Disney owned hotel and wanted to save money, without a doubt I would choose the DLH.

The convenience to the parks is no reason to choose a Disney owned hotel, though, since some of the non Disney hotels are just as convenient. There is the perk of receiving Magic Mornings every day of your stay. But you do get one of those with three day or more multiday park hoppers.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 09:24
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,197 posts
5,167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Californian Vs. Disneyland Hotel

We have stayed at both the Grand California and Disneyland Hotels. Disneyland Hotel is the oldest of the disney hotels. In terms of guests rooms, I would rate them about equal in terms of quality of rooms.

What we liked about the Grand Californian is the public areas such as grand lobby are amazing. We also liked the fact that when we stayed at the Grand Californian we got so wet on the water ride at California Adventure we decided to return to our room which was so easy to do. We even took a cat nap. We liked the pool are at Grand Californian more. And yes, the location of Grand Californian is really nice.

Now, budget....yep, that is something that with the rising cost of Disney, everyone has to weigh carefully. If you are just worried about the quality of the guest room experience, I would say either is fine to stay at.

If you want a nicer grand lobby, nicer bars to drink at, and a bit nicer pool (although young kids will think either is fine and not see much difference) than choose Grand Californian.

If you would rather have money to spend elsewhere on your trip or at Disney, then choose Disneyland Hotel or as stated about a good neighbor hotel.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,452 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Californian Vs. Disneyland Hotel

I've stayed at both hotels and prefer the Grand Californian for a number of reasons. It is the only of the three onsite hotels designed by Disney, It has the feel I expect from a Disney Deluxe hotel. But if you have a younger child with you you might prefer the Disneyland Hotel ans the rooms are more "Disney-fied" to make up for the lack of theming to the hotel itself.

There are no hotels closer to Disney than the Disney hotel in the middle of Disney.

The Disneyland Hotel also has the Monorail close by and you can ride in that to and from the hotel.

The one thing I might do is if I could get a DLH Club Level room at the same rate as the GC I might go for the DLH. The Club Level at any of the Disney hotels spoils you.

Bethel, Connecticut
Level Contributor
576 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Californian Vs. Disneyland Hotel

I just got back from a trip to DLR....Couldn't decide whether to stay at the Grand Californian or the Disneyland Hotel so I split my stay and spent a few days at each one. (Bell services is great...they move your luggage for you and the transition was smooth.) Here's my take on these two hotels....Grand Californian is more luxurious and the lobby is completely stunning...a beautiful and relaxing place if you like to hang-out in the lobby. The rooms are standard but they do have balconies (which I as an adult love but if you have small children you might not be a fan of). The proximity to the parks is the biggest plus to this hotel. (The private entrance to DCA can be used by guests of ANY Disney hotel.) The Disneyland Hotel lacks the luster in the lobby area that the GC has, but does have a little more Disney magic in the rooms themselves...light-up headboards and mickey's-hands bathroom fixtures. The rooms are slightly larger than those at GC but most don't have balconies, although there are overlarge windows from which to watch the fireworks. The swimming area, newly remodeled, is bigger and better here than at the GC (and has much more seating), especially for kids. There is a cool monorail slide for older kids and a splash area of the pool for little tikes. The DH isn't that much farther from the parks than the GC....the entrance to the GC is in the middle of Downtown Disney and the DH is at the end of it, roughly a block or so farther away. The DH is closer to the monorail entrance/exit, too...the quickest way to Disneyland Park.

Having stayed at both, I still can't answer the question which is better. I enjoyed them both for the reasons I've listed above. Whether being closer at GC is worth the extra money to you would probably depend on the ages of your children:)

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Californian Vs. Disneyland Hotel

"There are no closer hotels closer to Disney than the Disney hotel in the middle of Disney."

Translate please. : ) Too many Disneys in the sentence made it confusing. LOL

Did that mean there are no hotels in Anaheim closer to the Disney Parks (aka Disneyland Resort Parks) than the Disney Grand Californian Hotel in the middle of Disneyland Resort?

Or does it mean that because the Disney Grand Californian Hotel it is in the heart of Disneyland Resort, no other Disney owned hotels are closer to the parks and all points of the Disneyland Resort?

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Californian Vs. Disneyland Hotel

Thanks for all the feedback, we decided to go for the DH. A little 10 to 15 minute walk to the entrance wont kill us, plus we used the extra cash to book 2 character dining experiences. Thanks again.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Californian Vs. Disneyland Hotel

Have fun!

8. Re: Grand Californian Vs. Disneyland Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:17