We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: 7/5 - 7/11 (Really Looooong)

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Terre Haute, IN
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
TR: 7/5 - 7/11 (Really Looooong)

Hey gang! We made our first trip to Disneyland in 12 years. We're Midwesterners so WDW is an easier, cheaper, and therefore more often made vacation. Not wrong with The World, but like many on here DL holds a special place in my heart.

We arrived on Saturday, July 5 around 6:30pm, had a delay in getting our luggage and missed the last DLE bus of the day. I was propositioned by a shady guy in a white van who claimed Grayline would reimburse me but I didn't bite. We took a taxi. That's what I'll do in the future. It was $40 and we didn't have to make any additional stops. I didn't have any luck with Grayline in several facets and would not recommend them based on my experience. A taxi was slightly more money but way more convienent. I'll consider my $70 lost, a donation to Grayline.

The taxi got us to the Howard Johnson Hotel & Water Playground. We ate at Mimi's and my family sacked out. I was too excited and had to at least walk through the Esplanade. After all, it was my first time there in 12 years!

The next morning we grabbed some food from the room -- I cannot recommend Von's grocery delivery enough -- and headed to DL. My daughter had been to WDW before although doesn't remember much. Neither she nor my son have been to DL. Their only "experience" is the repeated watched of 1988's Disneyland Fun Sing-A-Long. We headed to Tomorrowland and caught rides on Buzz, Astro Orbitor and Space Mountain. Walked to Fantasyland and Toontown riding IASW, RR Cartoon Spin, Gadget's Go-Coaster (a favorite among my kids), Storybook Canal Boats, Alice, and Mad Tea Party. I miss the Jolly Trolley. A train ride around took us to NO Square where we had lunch at the French Market. After that rides on POTC, HM, SM and Pooh. Actually, my son and I got 4 rides on Pooh and several character photos while my wife and daughter rode Splash. My son is 39 inches at a resort where most everything "cool" is 40 inches :( Luckily it was all new to him and he was a good sport. We headed back after for a nap. We attempted to go back in the evening after dinner, but my son fell asleep in the booth at IHop so they called it a night. I about had a heart attack; $9 for one chocolate pancake from the kid's menu? At any rate, I tucked the family in bed and headed to DCA. I took the single rider line and finally got a long-awaited ride on RSR. Wow. What a great ride. No let down, despite all the hype. Seeing RS all lit up was something to see as well. I walked around a little bit taking it all in, knowing that with little kids in tow the next day, I wouldn't have so much attention to give. After a ride on Soarin' I headed back.

Monday, we headed to DCA. We grabbed FPs for RSR and headed to Carsland. We rode Mater and Luigi then took turns riding RSRs with our daughter. Meanwhile my son enjoyed Flik's Fun Fair and we all took in Aladdin (fantastic show). After lunch at the Mexican place at Pacific Wharf, we headed to Paradise Pier for rides on CS, TSMM, the carousel and Mickey's Fun Wheel. My 3yo son LOVED it...my 6 yo daughter not-so-much. However, my daughter couldn't stop talking about her first rides on a "loopty loop" coaster"! Took a break and then returned to DCA for the evening riding Goofy's Sky School, CS, and Monsters, which my son slept through.

Tuesday we returned to DL. After meeting Minnie in Town Square, we started rides with PP, SW, Dumbo, Mr Toad and more rides on GGC. That was the only wild thing my son could ride so we rode it several times. We visited Frontierland; wife and daughter rode BTMRR while son and I rode Mark Twain. We hit IJA Adventure next, again splitting up and entertaining my son with the JC. After a long nap, we returned for Autopia, Buzz, Star Tours and fireworks.

On Wednesday, we started with DL again with many re-rides including Gadget's Go-Coaster, of course! We met Mickey and played around TT. We ate at Redd Rocket's and continued re-rides. We used the train several times simply as transportation but every time had to ride through the dinosaurs at the request of my son. Who knew it was that cool? We took a break. My wife opted against returning that evening so I took the kids myself. Was I thinking straight? More rides on Gadget, IASW, POTC, dinner at French Market, and F! I had never watched it before...what a treat! We headed home.

Thursday was our last day. We started in DCA with GRR, Soarin', Disney Jr show, Trolley, Tough to be a Bug and numerous re-rides. After a nap we returned to DL. We actually only rode IASW and then shopped. Right before midnight, we stopped in the Disneyana Store and looked at the old photos and models. That's always one of my favorite parts. We had a great convo with the CM who was extremely knowledgeable. The whole resort seemed to get busier as the week went on. Sunday, July 6 seemed to be the slowest day of our stay.

Friday, we walked through DTD, ate at La Brea and headed to SNA, via a taxi. It was a great trip! DCA 2.0 is really great and there is just something special about Disneyland. Sorry it was so long and thanks for reading.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,453 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: 7/5 - 7/11 (Really Looooong)

Thanks for the Trip Report, glad you had a good time.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: 7/5 - 7/11 (Really Looooong)

Nice read. Sounds exciting.

I have been wanting to do Goofy's Sky School since I have seen a couple of videos lately. Glad you got to do it. They now have a similiar mouse coaster at Knott's Berry Farm in the Boardwalk section called the Coaster Rider, so I will settle for that when I hope to have another day there in a couple of weeks. But I really like the way DCA has the billboard type signs with Goofy and it looks like you are going to crash into them. You would not know looking up at a coaster like that how much fun it is until you get on it.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,942 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: 7/5 - 7/11 (Really Looooong)

Fun trip. Sounds like all had a great time! Thanks for sharing.

Level Contributor
34,187 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: 7/5 - 7/11 (Really Looooong)

Sounds like a very fun time... thanks for the report back! :)

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: 7/5 - 7/11 (Really Looooong)

Wasn't that long.

Thanks for the report.

Level Contributor
2,361 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR: 7/5 - 7/11 (Really Looooong)

Fun read. We are also midwesterners and people never get when we tell them we like Disneyland better than the World. Yes World is bigger, more parks, but there is something to be said for going where it all started. I think my kids are both old souls and love the first one the best.

I had to laugh when you mention the old Disneyland sing along. We have them all from the old ones from Disneyworld too. I think they are all on VHS. I would love to bring them out again before our trip in a week. Now if only we still had a VHS player.

My kids are now teens but when my daughter was just under the 40 inch mark I had to go to target to get shoes with heels so she could get on all the big kid rides. (I blame the one roller coaster she got on where they were not measuring exactly. I said you will never get on and when she did there was no stopping her)

I noticed you said Sunday was the least crowded day. I am a little concerned Sunday is our arrival day and I was not going to go to the parks. If it is the least crowded maybe we should change our plans?

Thank you so much for posting. Can't wait for our upcoming trip!

california
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR: 7/5 - 7/11 (Really Looooong)

Love your trip report. So happy you had a good time, and following Fourth of July too! Thanks for sharing...

8. Re: TR: 7/5 - 7/11 (Really Looooong)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:16