We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

Starting to plan a trip to California for sometime next year and was wondering what other things are there to do? Whether it be a touristy thing or a local secret (love them)! Just wanting to know so I can determine how long I should stay around in Anaheim for

Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

hi, we are heading over for our first ever visit in Feb 2015, apart from Disneyland we are going to San Diego to the Zoo & Sea world, we are also doing a Warner bros tour in LA...you can also do Universal Studios in LA, Knotts berry farm has loads of roller coasters. There is also some outlet shops, you can do shopping tours for them too.....we are in Anaheim for 12 days and we got a 10 day park hopper pass for Disneyland, you can only get this pass in Aus/NZ before you leave. it is only a few dollars more than a 5 day pass..something to keep in mind when working out what tickets you need to buy, we got ours from Flight Centre, but any travel agent can get them for you...this pass means we don't have to rush each day we are there.....others will chime in with more things to do and they will most likely have first hand experience...

Edited: 06 August 2014, 06:51
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

That sounds lovely!

I had no idea about the 10 day pass for Disneyland.

I was going to get the California City Pass deal (3 day park hopper Disneyland, Universal Studios and Sea World), however you do make things seem quite a deal more interesting.... will have to do more investigating. Speaking of travel agents, I had the worst conversation with STA travel centre so I will have to give Flight Centre a try. Thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

hope this link works - click on "International" and then click on West Coast USA, that brochure will have lots of things on Anaheim area, it also has the disney passes in there, i got my brochure from Flight centre, http://www.infinityholidays.com.au/brochures

Edited: 06 August 2014, 09:21
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

Knotts Berry farm

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

There's not heaps around the Anaheim area, but we used this as our base to see LA, Hollywood, Universal, beaches etc.

We hired a car and had no trouble with Anaheim as a base.

Many people will tell you to move areas though. It really depends where else you intend visiting.

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

I live 1200 km away from the nearest ocean. Not an issue if you're in Sydney.

So I am going to Long Beach for a harbor cruise and maybe Seal Beach to play in the ocean.

I haven't been there in 15 years. But at one time, Fourth Street in Santa Ana was a fun place to go. It had lots of shops run by Mexican and other immigrants. Back them, a little Espanol was very useful.

Here's a website, it looks like they still have some events going on.

http://eastendsantaana.com/

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

An Anaheim local with a couple of free days and no kids would go to Las Vegas.

If you don't stay on a Friday or a Saturday night, you can get a 5-star hotel for $100 on Hotwire or Priceline. I have seen 3-star hotels for $15 a night, as long as it's not Friday or Saturday.

OP, if you are a foodie, you will love 4th Street in Santa Ana. Mexican food, que bueno!

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

Foodie, I hope you don't mind some 15-year-old information. I think it is still accurate.

If you like interesting restaurants, there's a place over by the port of San Pedro, maybe 50 km away from Disneyland called Ports O Call. It has lots of interesting restaurants. Well, maybe it's just interesting to me because I can watch the big container ships while I eat.

Las Vegas also has lots of "celebrity chef" restaurants. But I think they are overpriced so I don't eat at those places. My idea of Haute Cusine is eating at El Pollo Loco and not McDonalds so you may not want to listen to me.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,187 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

Welcome to the forums Foodie-Patty,

There are lots of things to do in the general area, but its helpful if you will have a Car. If not then its usually suggested to split your stay, and stay part of the time in LA area which is about a 1 hour drive North of Anaheim, and spend some time in San Diego which is about a 2 hour drive South of that area. So there is lots of driving if you visit things just from Anaheim. But it is possible if you really dont want to move Hotels to do that without a Car, as thier is train service as well as Tours like Grayline Tours and Starline Tours along with smaller Tour Companies that do Tours from Anaheim.

At the right side of the Anaheim forum page here there is a list of "top questions" that should be helpful to look through as they will have info on what to do in the area. ( they cant be seen on phone I believe though)

Huntington and Newport beach are about a 30 min drive from Anaheim.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,424 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Anaheim other than Disney attractions?

Let's start with the Orange County area. Here is a link to the Orange County Forum where the Top Questions at the right of the screen discuss the area.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659482-i12177-Ora…

How long is the entire trip in nights and what sights do you plan on seeing? When are you coming? And who is coming (approximate ages)?

These are all important things for giving the best advice.

But in general, Orange County has some amazing sights, beaches, museums, hiking areas, historical sites and fun harbor cruises. It just depends as I said on all the variables above.

If I had 9 nights in Orange County, I'd only spend 4 days doing Disneyland and then I would move to one of the beach cities, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach or Huntington Beach.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 06:23