We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World of Color this Saturday

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
World of Color this Saturday

My husband and I are going to be visiting Disney this Saturday. We have a park hopper. We've done Disneyland a couple times, but have only spent a few hours in California Adventure, so we're planning on spending most of the day there.

I want to get fast passes for World of Color viewing from Grizzly River Run. Do you know at what time these passes are usually gone? Are they out by 9:15am or will the passes likely be available a few hours after the park opens? Just wondering if we should sprint there when the park opens or head to Cars Land first.

With the fast pass, how early before the show do you need to arrive at the designated spot? My husband has some back problems and while he'll be able to 'suck it up' all day, I don't want to make him stand in the same spot for hours waiting for the World of Color show to start. It's important to us to see the show, but we don't have to be right in front.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 00:40
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World of Color this Saturday

Usually WOC Fastpasses wont be gone on a weekend till at least a few hours after Park opening time. But keep in mind there is only one show now for WOC though, so I would suggest being at the Fastpass area as soon as possible. Keep in mind also that the best view the blue section is given out first usually, then it goes to other colors when those are gone at the Fastpass Machine.

For RSR ride I would suggest riding that single rider if possible which has the least wait times as it has the longest wait times in both Parks still right now I believe. I would suggest picking up a Fastpass for Radiator Spring Racer ride first thing into the Park. The Fastpass for RSR is near the entrance to "its tough to be a bug" attraction. Then going over to the WOC Fastpass area and getting that Fastpass ( WOC Fastpasses are not linked so you can have a WOC Fastpass and another one.

Heres a good guide to the World of Color viewing that should be helpful. Keep in mind that specific color locations may be somewhat different as those can change. They do allow you to sit on the ground before the show for a while if you are early. If your Husband has issues with standing, you can bring in a cane seat into Disneyland thats a can/and has a fold down seat.

mouseplanet.com/9336/MousePlanets_Guide_to_t…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World of Color this Saturday

Very helpful, thanks! The cane seat is a good idea, but we're in our 20s, my husband would kill me if I recommended it. Good to know that there is space to sit prior to the start of the show.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World of Color this Saturday

This link has alot of info on the World of Color show and viewing options ect, ect. But you will likely have to copy and paste, as it wont show up as a link.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2542717&highlight=world+of+color+superthread

San Diego...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World of Color this Saturday

Thanks for the advice! We enjoyed the WOC show. I wanted to give a quick report back for anyone who stumbles on this post with WOC questions in the future.

We got WOC Fastpasses from Grizzly River Run as soon as the park opened and received the blue section. It looked like Fastpasses were still available 3 hours after the park opening, but they did eventually sell out.

The Fastpasses said to arrive between 8:45 and 9:45 (the show started at 9:45). We arrived at 8:20 and there were already many people waiting in line. When they opened up the viewing area at 8:45, it was pretty chaotic. I had reviewed the links above for the best viewing areas. But there were so many people running everywhere, so we just took the first open railing spot we could find. We had a spot on the left hand side (facing the pond), second section up, and the view was pretty good.

Anyone who arrived after 8:45pm did not get a spot on a railing or on the front of a step, which meant they had to try to see the show over at least one row of people.

During the show, I noticed lots of kids struggling to see, we did our best to share the space with them. I did see parents putting their kids on their shoulders, which blocked the view for everyone behind them. I would recommend holding children no higher than your own head. Even if you don't care about blocking the view for other adults, there were plenty of 7-12 year olds who were too old to be held for half an hour, but certainly could not see around rows of dads with toddlers on their shoulders.

It was a fun show, but my overall takeaway is that it is not worth the viewing chaos. If you don't get to the viewing area early and sprint for a railing, you will not be able to see, regardless of height. If you have young kids, take them to Fantasmic and the fireworks at Disneyland and skip WOC. The viewing for Fantasmic is mostly seated on the ground and much of the action occurs above eye level, so kids can see everything. We saw families leaving WOC after only a few minutes because their kids just could not see. WOC viewing is better for teens and adults - who can get there early, sprint through the crowd for a railing, and hold their spot for an hour.

Disney should really consider putting bleachers into the WOC viewing area, the show is great but the crowd experience is pretty miserable.

For a crowd reference, our day was listed as "Hey, it's alright". So we did not go on one of the most crowded days or one of the "ghost town" days. I'm sure your experience will vary depending on the crowds.

I hope this helps! Overall, we loved California Adventure and found it to be far less crowded than Disneyland.

california
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World of Color this Saturday

We had planned to see WOC last April when we went. I was concerned about the viewing and the waiting and the crowds, especially since my husband is a double amputee. To avoid the chaos I thought it best to do a preferred viewing dining package. We reserved a WOC dining plan for a lunch at Wine Country Trattoria.

After two full days in the parks (our lunch reserved for the third) we realized we had over planned and became panicked about packing in too much (we had our 3 yr old and my mom w us) We cancelled, within the 24 hrs but Disney Dining was SUPER nice and didn't charge us the usual $10 per head cancellation.

I digress, have you considered a dining package?

We are returning in October and I'm thinking of trying to plan this again.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 00:07
melbourne
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World of Color this Saturday

I agree that WOC just isn't worth the hassles that come with trying to get a good spot. We did it in 2011, but didn't get a railing spot, so our kids could not see, and we found it difficult. We decided to give it a miss last year. I just wasn't that impressed.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 00:32
San Diego...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: World of Color this Saturday

honeymooner, I originally looked at the Wine Country Trattoria package as well. From what I read, the issues with the dinner package are similar to the Fastpass. The dining viewing areas are smaller with fewer people, but there are only so many spaces in front/on the railings - and most spaces are directly behind other people.

As your husband is a double amputee, maybe you can get a handicap viewing spot? Even if he isn't in a wheelchair, they might let you do it?

Try calling Disney or maybe someone else with more Disney experience can provide insight about the meal packages.

Here's a quote from one of the links happytotrip posted:

"If a member of your party uses a wheelchair, check with the cast members at the Fastpass machines for specific instructions. If you are purchasing a dining package or a picnic, cast members at each of the queues will direct you to a special line for each viewing area. Each section of the viewing area has a section set aside for wheelchair users, and these are positioned at a forward position, usually against a rail. There won't be anyone standing directly in front of this section, but the view may be otherwise slightly obstructed by planters, walls, light fixtures, and the heads of the people in the section below. Companions can stand behind the person using the wheelchair."

california
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World of Color this Saturday

No, he's not in a wheelchair, he walks on prosthetics. From what I understand he would be the only one who would be able to sit on the bench.

I still think, based on what I've read, that the dining package is probably the way to go. I think you get in to a section better than blue, up on a bridge?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: World of Color this Saturday

happytotrip posted this link, it discusses the dining package seating and has a map of the viewing areas. I believe the bridge is for blue Fastpasses.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2542717&highlight=world+of+color+superthread

Level Contributor
2,551 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: World of Color this Saturday

We just did the dining options a few weeks ago. I was very confused and even after reading the great DIS forum post even more so. We went to the Wine County Trattoria for lunch. I had dinner reservations but then realized you would never get a good view with the time we had for dinner. There was way too much food for lunch but it was very good and the deserts were the best all week.

Where else do you eat desert at lunch? I kept asking what color are our fast passes that we received? They just said it was the dining spots. They said to go by Ariel. I was a little confused thought they meant under the sea which of course they meant the ride.

We got there later than I wanted about 50 minutes before showtime. Many people were already lined up. But with the dining passes we were lead to the front of the pack. I did see separate areas for wheelchair bound people. We were center stage in the wet zone behind a stroller. By showtime we were able to be at the rail. Yes it was the wet zone. But heck it was Aug! There were a zillion people behind us but we had front center. The wet was really just a mist. Nothing too bad. We I think had the best seat (oh I mean standing) in the house.

The best part I used my Disney points for the lunch so it did not cost us any real cash.

My teen peeps loved it. (last time we went when it first opened a few years ago they were not as excited) Yes I think adults and older kids will like it best. It was fun to be in the wet zone & great to be right up front. The dining pass for us is the only way to go.

Enjoy your trip.