We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving the park for lunch

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
633 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving the park for lunch

We just booked at the Fairfield Inn (Jan.9-13), and I'm curious if it would be realistic to head back to the hotel to have lunch (we'd just do sandwiches in the room). The thought of packing lunch & lugging it around isn't very appealing!

TIA

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,702 posts
1,729 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving the park for lunch

Yes it can be done and we did it ourself on our recent trip. Just get your hand stamped as you leave the park.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving the park for lunch

They do have lockers right near the entrance to Disneyland you could use if you brought something to keep things cold with.

Its about an 8 min walk from Fairfield Inn to the Turnstiles that go into either Park. Keep in mind that depending on where you are within the Park, that can take an extra 10 min or so just to get out of the Park.

If you dont have alot, I would suggest just bringing a small backpack in with your sandwiches. Thats usually fine to do as long as your not bringing in a whole meal in a cooler or something. Thats really the easiest option so you dont have to leave and walk just for that.

Or plan on eating somewhere very inexpensive where you can easily share meals within the Park. Some places have large portions that can easily be shared by two adults such as the Pacific Warf Cafe has very good large Sandwiches.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving the park for lunch

I usually take a sandwich in with me, but am finding lately they don't hold up well being lugged around all day. Granted, I save it for my second meal, which is usually around 6 and usually in the summer. For an early type lunch it better. Or make sure to use bread that is not soft, such as a crisp bread, and no condiments until ready to eat.

The lockers near the entrance would be on the outside of the park, just so you know. DCA has lockers inside, but the ones in Disneyland's are not in use until the fall. Using a locker, in my experience, helps to keep a sandwich fresher, but they are not cooled. A small softside cooler is nicer. I love the idea of buying something inexpensive in the park. Corn dogs are almost twice as much as the charge at a hot dog place such as Hot Dog On a Stick, at about 6 and a half dollars. But oh so convenient. Another thought: Have lunch at someplace such as French Market that has big portions anc split the meals so you have two filling meals for the price of one.

Bringing in sodas really, really helps to keep the cost of meals down and every place that has soda dispensers will give you a cup of ice. So no need to worry about how warm they get. (Be careful how you open them, though. Warm soda bottles that have been jostled around can sprist. (I take a plastic store bag, cover the soda and open from the outside of the bag. And soda that gets lose gets inside the bag and not all over.) Then, of course, you have the issie of extra weight in your bag.

If you like the idea of walking back to the Fairfield, let us know how that worked. Others might like to try it.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 20:58
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving the park for lunch

I just looked at your travel dates. Keep a back up plan in mind in case it is raining and you don't feel like walking back and forth for lunch. The Golden Horseshoe is one of the few places in the Disneyland Park with indoor seating. They have big chili bread bowls for about $10, big enough to share.

Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving the park for lunch

Some questions to ask yourself- How much effort to get group back to room? How long a day are you planning in the park? Yes you can pack lunch into park, I always pack snacks. The best part of going back to room is the peace and quiet. Love disney parks but not much silence. A short nap or swim and your own private space make going back to room totally worth it. Then going back to park makes for a more refreshing experience. If you are up to walking then enjoy lunch in room.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving the park for lunch

we just walk out ..get our hands stamped and head to many of the less $$$ options right on Harbor Blvd. Kind of nice to get out of the sensory overload for a little while. Since we don't have one here in Victoria, one of our favourite off site picks is Tony Romas for lunch. If you are so inclined, the servings at the Taste Pilot Grill just inside DCA has large not so $$ shareable burger platters as well. They also have smaller kid size meals. If you eat a little early, say 11:30 ish, you can miss the crowds and get a nice place to sit as well at Taste Pilot. I am not a fan of soggy sammies, so we have never taken sandwiches and stored them in a locker. So I can't give an honest opinion on that.

Chinchilla...
Level Contributor
404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving the park for lunch

we would go back to our room for a homemade sandwich or leftovers if your room has a microwave that is handy, its a good way to freshen up and chill for a bit before heading back into Disneyland have fun xxx

8. Re: Leaving the park for lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:17