We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney's Grand or the Pier?

Yakima Wa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Disney's Grand or the Pier?

We are taking our children for the first time over their 8 and 10 bday! I want to make sure I get the most for my buck. I hear The Grand is the way to go, but also heard good things about the Pier. My price for 2 days at the Grand is over $800.00.

Any adivce?

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney's Grand or the Pier?

both are close to the parks which is nice, but the California Grand is way better than the paradise Pier. However if it is significant amount of money I do not think you will be spending that much time in the room anyway so I would go with Paradise Pier. The Grand Californa has a real nice lobby and restaurants so it is a really good place for adult cocktail time but I do not think 8 and 10s would know the difference, probably would rather spend the money at Build-a -bear. But if you can swing it, the grand californian is a very special place to stay. Obviously I have been no help.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,759 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney's Grand or the Pier?

I would consider the Disneyland Hotel for their first time. The feeling is more Disney than the other two. A marina view will get you a nice view of the pool.

When you get into DL don't forget to stop into the City Hall on Main Street and sign the kids up for their special birthday stuff!

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Hotel
Disneyland Hotel
3,094 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Yakima Wa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney's Grand or the Pier?

I am torn whether or not it is worth the $$$ for the Grand, or save some money and get a suite nearby and take a shuttle.

I guess I am thiking, kids first time and all, nice to be near park and the whole Disney theme and not just another hotel.

folsom
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney's Grand or the Pier?

The Grand truly lives up to its name. After staying at the Pier and the Grand, we've always returned to the Grand. Much more centrally located. You can't go wrong with either, as Disney seems to put its special touch in each of its hotels.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney's Grand or the Pier?

Go to the Anaheim Hotel review page, the Disney hotels are not that highly rated, especially for the price they charge.

You can find hotels that are closer to the main entrance than any of the three Disney owned hotels for a LOT less.

You can always have a meal at one of the Disney owned Hotels with the money you save, plus still save a lot of money.

If you are looking for the most for your buck, I would look at the Howard Johnson's or the Candy Cane Inn.

Mentioned in this post
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
105 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Candy Cane Inn
Candy Cane Inn
2,884 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,759 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney's Grand or the Pier?

Disneyland Hotel is generally considered to be the hotel with the the most Disney touches and feeling of the three "on property" Disney hotels.

The Grand Californian is a beautiful hotel that is has a more "grown up" feeling with less noticable Disney touches.

If you decide to go with the Grand Californian you will get a wonderful setting and the closest proximity to the parks, particularly DCA. You may also get the best service of any of the Disney "on property" hotels. However, if you are looking to please the kids, the kids may be more impressed with the Disneyland Hotel. Given the choice, I would definitely stay on property at the Disneyland Hotel rather than going off property and taking a shuttle.

If you would like to go first class all the way stay at the Grand Californian. If you would like to budget the money in another direction during your stay, I would recommend the Disneyland Hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Hotel
Disneyland Hotel
3,094 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Yakima Wa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney's Grand or the Pier?

Thanks for your ideas.... I am leaning toward The Disnyland Hotel. Is it a far walk to the park, or is there a shuttle?

We are combining this with a Mexico Baja curise on RC. ANy suggestion on how to get to the Pier?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney's Grand or the Pier?

A number of the motels on Harbor Boulevard are closer to the parks than the Disney hotels, unless you enter California Adventure through the entrance of the Grand Californian.

The Disneyland hotels themselves do not have shuttles. Many of the Good Neighbour hotels use the ART.

If you want to get "the most for your buck" you may want to go with a good neighbour hotel and use the money you save for other things like a character breakfast or some souveniers.

Many of the good neighbour hotels have free continental breakfasts. Some have microwaves in every room (which we found really handy while we were there).

The best advice, just go and have a great time. Remember you'll mostly use your room to sleep in.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Hotel Californian
Hotel Californian
81 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
phoenix, az
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney's Grand or the Pier?

We stayed at the Pier and were definitely "under-whelmed" with the room. It was not worth the extra price for staying on property and the walk was most likely as long as some of the off property places. The Grand is very nice but seemed very busy as it is a destination in itself.

I had said that the next time we went to Disney that we'd stay at the Disneyland Hotel on property. But, instead, we are going for the suite and staying off property at Residence Inn Maingate THe price of a suite at Disney appeared to be about $600 per night whereas we got a price for the penthouse family suite plus full hot breakfast buffet for $219 per night!

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Hotel
Disneyland Hotel
3,094 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
Residence Inn Anaheim...
1,421 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
508 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney's Grand or the Pier?

I agree with some of the previous posters...the Disneyland Hotel gives me more of the Disney feel. The grounds are beautiful with Neverland Pool and Koi Ponds. Goofy's Kitchen (a great character meal) is located there. (Be sure to make reservations) Also be sure to open your drapes during the day to get a twinkling of pixie dust at night. However, as other posters have mentioned if price is a major concern there are nice hotels close by.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Hotel
Disneyland Hotel
3,094 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Goofy's Kitchen
Goofy's Kitchen
1,821 Reviews
Anaheim, CA