We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

Louisiana
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

I was looking to visit Disneyland in Feb. 18-22, but after comparing hotel prices the week before and the week after it almost doubled in price the period of time I want to stay. Usually that mean a holiday or huge event. Can someone please help me and tell me why such an huge increase? My kids will be on vacation due to Mardi Gras, they get a week off from school and I usually go to Disneyworld but I was looking to give Disneyland a try but ONLY if it's a slow period. Been there and done that with 2 hour wait for 3 minute rides.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

The 19th is President's day which is a fed holiday isn't it?

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

Many school are off the 16tj & 19th for Presidents Day Weekend and Monday, the 19th is considered a Federal Holiday.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

Thanks for the reply, but I was wondering is the entire week dedicated to President holiday? That would explain the spike in hotel prices

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

Only Monday is a Federal Holiday. There might be a big convention in town that week?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

Some schools take a "Mid-Winter" Break, and they tend to be during the last two weeks of February, I think Arizona gets a week. This is also known as "Ski week"

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

Due to Presidents Day, a lot of schools now do a "mid winter break" at this time......because apparently kids don't have enough breaks from school as it is!! :)

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,759 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

Many elementary schools in Southern California have year round schedules, with "tracks" that begin and break at different times. Some schools may have sessions that are "off track" or breaking then.

Also, don't underestimate Californians' willingness to enjoy, and make the most of, a "three day weekend". Appartently, that is the line of reasoning for the area hotels.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,759 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

I just realized the Washingon's Birthday is February 22nd. Why is that important? After doing a Google search, I discovered that some states still keep this holiday. Here is a link that explains:

www.state.tn.us/tsla/tel/PresidentsDay.pdf

Louisiana
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

Hey Thanks Redlands,

I think my question is answered. I'll wait and do Disneyland next year. I am SO OVER the crowds. You pay all that money to go but you can't enjoy yourself due to huge amounts of people everywhere. My family and I love to travel but not to the point of wasting money and time in line for hours at a time.

San Diego
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feb. 19-23, Is it a holiday??????????

Right choice if you want to avoid crowds...more and more schools are taking that whole week off (ours does), because they were losing too much money. The schools get paid a set amount per child in attendance each day, and since so many families were using that week to take trips, the schools took the hit financially. Same thing for the week of Thanksgiving. I'm just glad that our district takes spring break the third week of April, no matter when Easter is - most years, we get a great week for D'land or whatever, with much less crowding!