We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 2008 Trip Report

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
July 2008 Trip Report

Back from a short 4 day trip to Gold Country - We had a tremendous time!

Weather was gorgeous, it even cooled down for us a bit the beginning of the week. No smoke in the air the whole time we were there .. yahoo!!

We stayed at the Worldmark - Angels Camp resort. Loved the location and the concierge staff there were marvelous.

Day 1 - We checked out Columbia State park. The kids loved riding the stagecoach, panning for gold, and especially the shaved ice sasparilla drinks. We drove to Sonora and had dinner at the Diamondback Grille - fantastic hamburgers .. but the portions were HUMONGOUS!! Waaaay too much food for me .. But I would go back in a heartbeat (grin)

Day 2 - We went cave exploring - California Caverns. We took the shortest tour (since we were travelling with 8 year olds wearing flip flops LOL) and everyone was more than impressed with the incredible caverns we toured. We are already planning another trip (this time with hiking boots and long pants) where we will explore more of the caverns. I want to raft across the subterranean lake! We had a late lunch in Murphy's at the Sun Cafe - Chinese food. Everything, from the potstickers to the fried rice was fresh and made from scratch. It was surprisingly inexpensive, and it was the only time both 8 year olds cleaned their entire plates! After lunch, the girls played in the park, our oldest daughter (20) graciously offered to stay with them while we popped into a few tasting rooms along Murphy's main street. Twisted Oak was a hoot.

Day 3 - We went hiking in Big Trees, the smaller 1.5 mile hike. It was short, and just enough to keep everyone happy and blister free. The hike is very easy, flat, and shady. And the trees are awesome. From there we explored the river a bit, and just wandered around most of the day just seeing what there was to see. We had dinner at Alchemy in Murphy's and it was wonderful. I had tortilla soup - spicy and fresh .. soooo good!

Day 4 - time to head home, we drove in on I4 (egads .. steep and windy - but so beautiful) We drove home on HWY 49 and stopped at Sutters Mine for a tour. Our guide was a lot of fun and very knowledgeable about the history and business of mining. The hour flew by. We ate at the Buffalo Chip in Sutters Mill, and had some of the best homemade pies out there.

It was a great trip - can't wait to come back and hit Yosemite and some of the great hiking around the beautiful areas we saw this trip!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 2008 Trip Report

Great report, and sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves. There is so much to see and do in the Mother Lode, you could go back repeatedly and find new things.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k138033…

This is a thread which was mainly a conversation between a few of us and a visitor from Southern California who also went to Angel's Camp, Columbia, and Big Trees. It sounds like the Chinese restaurant they enjoyed may have been the one they went to.

Well, you took Hwy 4 with your eyes open, right? That is the one you meant, I think, that goes through Markleeville and takes you to a junction for Minden. I remember we talked about it in our pm's. I think it's the most challenging trans-Sierra state highway, in terms of the physical exertion it requires. And it has fewer services than any of the others.

For anyone thinking of exploring the Mother Lodge, here is a little cautionary tale. TheGold Country has many abandoned mines. Some of them may not even be marked or closed off if they are remote and no one knows about them. So always be wary of interesting-looking holes in the ground,

www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=157&sid=4035189

Level Contributor
35,741 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 2008 Trip Report

Sounds like a fun time, thanks for reporting back! :)

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: July 2008 Trip Report

Hwy 4 was a challenge, We took it knowing it was going to be. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they really LOVE mountain (ie steep, twisting and narrow) driving. My husband loves to drive and really enjoyed the challenge. The reward for the passengers were unbelievable views of the gorgeous gold country.

Roadrunner - I jus wanted to thank you again for your advice and tips before we left for our trip. They helped to make our adventure so great.

ooh .. something I just thought about - I noticed while we were there that the caverns had limited access. They are only open for tours in the summer months, due to rising ground water in the winter.

4. Re: July 2008 Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Angels Camp