We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm confused. Please help.

Northern Mississippi
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I'm confused. Please help.

I was interested in visiting Catalina Island in August for a honeymoon. The problem is I don't know the best way to get there. Do you have to take a plane to a city on shore and take a boat to Catalina? Is there a good package that involves transportation and hotel? Thanks.

Northern Mississippi
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

I hope you guys are right. lol. I'm a person who really HATES to be hot. Those villas do look very nice though. How much is the "linen" fee?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

Starting this March there will be boat service on a Fast Cat to Avalon from Marina Del Rey, which is just a short taxi drive from LAX. Go to :http://www.catalinaferries.com/ for the schedule and location. We went last summer and even with a crowd there's plenty of room on the boat. Just be patient during the slow boarding process.

As far as price- you might be pushing it, if you stay at a nice place, with room prices over $345/night for a week. Add in meals and trips and it could be close. We stayed at the Portofina. I was in a "cheap" room and there were problems but anyplace under $200/night will be like under $100 anywhere else!

Avalon Ca.
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

Jet blue is the major carrier at Long Beach airport. and it's only about 10 - 15 minutes from the Catalina Express terminal and around a $20.00 taxi ride. Lax is about 40 minutes in light traffic and much longer during rush hour, and probley about $40.00 to $45.00 by shuttle for 2. If you fly into Long Beach you'll want to take the Express out of the down town landing. Flying into Lax it would be a shorter trip to THe Express terminal in San Pedro. When you get here I highly recomend the Avalon, it is by far the best hotel in town. If you are planning on being here for a week, you may want to consider a weekly rental. The best selection is available through Catalina Island Vacation rentals. Condos start at around $1300.00 a week. I live in Bahia Vista which is a 64 unit condo complex of which 52 of the units are vacation rentals. They are nice sized units with a pool and juccuzzi. about 3 blocks from the beach. Besides the price you can also pick up supplys from the market so you don't have to eat all you meals out. You need to consider that breakfast will run you around $25.00 for 2. Lunch $25.00 to $30.00, and dinner with wine or cocktails if you drink will run you somewhere around $60.00 to $80.00 in a dinner house.

Hope this helps you. Feel free to contact me if you need any other info.

Renee

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
480 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

Fly into LAX & take the ferry that leaves from Marina del Rey. It should only be about a 20 min trip--about $20. You don't want to taxi to Long Beach--waaay to $$$$. I HATE being hot also, but have been to Catalina many times & never felt I had to have a/c except one time. At Hamilton Cove, you can pick your villa--just get one that specifies a/c. You should be able to afford the trip, not problem.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

I defintely agree about NOT needing A/C at Hamilton Cove or anywhere in Avalon. It is quite pleasant in August. The great thing about Hamilton Cove is that is is secluded and you get your own golf cart to explore Avalon. Most of the units have wonderful, ocean views. I would highly recommend Hamilton Cove. The best overall website for Catalina is www.catalina.com. You should find everything there.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

ALSO, the boat ride from Long Beach is much faster. Long Beach is the closest point to Avalon. Catalina Express has the most boats leaving from Long Beach.

You can book transportation via www.supershuttle.com to take you from LAX to Long Beach. That would be cheaper than a taxi.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

Regarding the ferries from either Marina Del Rey or Long Beach.

The Marina Del Rey Flyer leaves once a day Monday-Thursday and only twice a day Friday- Sunday for Avalon.

Catalina Express leaves Long Beach at least 4 times a day and on weekends, 5 times a day for Avalon. The trip is usually less than an hour to Avalon.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
224 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

If you're on a budget...

We often fly to LAX to board cruise ships out of Long Beach, and use the Metro Rail from LAX for only 2.50 each (1 change of trains). See socaltransport.org

19. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 22:18