We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Avalon

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Avalon

Hi,

my husband and i are hoping to take a day trip to Catalina in July this year. We want to catch the 9.30am Catalina express to Avalon. Then we thought we would hire some snorkelling gear and snorkel around Lovers Cove. We then might have lunch and look around the shops and return to Long Beach around 4pm. We want to see the Queen Mary at Long Beach and then off to LAX at 6pm for our trip home to Australia. Is this a realistic plan? What are the water temps like in mid July? Would we need wet suits as well to snorkel?

Thanks for your help!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Avalon

Hi,

That's a pretty long day if you are going to the Queen Mary. See how you feel after you return to Long Beach for the trip to the Queen.

The water temps are fine(68 to 71) for snokeling. You do not need a wetsuit.

Enjoy!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Avalon

You could do the snorkeling and stuff in Catalina in that time frame, but it takes a good hour, maybe more to get back to Long Beach, so if you leave Avalon at 4 pm, you won't get back to Long Beach unitl at least 5 pm, most likely later. So that doesn't give you much time to see the Queen Mary if you need to leave there by 6 pm.

I think the other person was generous with the water temps. We might hit upper 60's in October, but in mid-July is going to be mid 60's at best. If you aren't used to those types of temperatures you may want at least a half suit. The wet suit will also help keep you bouyant and there is a bit of a surge in Lovers Cove so unless you are experienced it might be beneficial to get a wet suit.

The bottom is also very rocky so be prepared.

Have fun. Lover's Cove has lots of fish that are not shy in the least so they will come right up to you looking for food. And if you have some they may snatch it right out of your hands.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Avalon

Thanks for the info!

You're right about timing, i will probably be pushing it if i go snorkelling. I just realised that the ferry back leaves at 2.45pm so with only 4 hours at Avalon i will probably just walk around, shop, eat lunch and then go back to Long Beach and have a few hours to see Queen Mary.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Gold Bar, Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Avalon

We went to Catalina this week from long beach landing to Avalon and it is one hour boat ride. We took 10 am and were there at 11 am. With your schedule I would advise making lunch reservations. Is it during the week or weekend because if it is july and a weekend I would also suggest making reservations on boat when you get into LA. I used their toll free phone # but I don't think it works out of US.

5. Re: day trip to Avalon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:17