We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike or golf cart?

Which Avalon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
121 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bike or golf cart?

My 23 year old son and I are planning a day trip to Avalon. We are in decent shape but were wondering if we want to rent a bike to check out parts of the island or if a golf cart is better. How hilly is it and how much does watch option cost?

Since we've never been there, we are open to suggestions. I love plants and scenery, he is not into shopping and we both like to "look at stuff".

How is the Marina Flier boat for getting there since we are coming from the SF Valley and would prefer no to drive so far if possible.

Thanks!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike or golf cart?

Get a golf cart. Once you get off the main drag along the harbor, you will be dealing with a lot of hills. The cart will enable you to range a bit further and explore more of the terrain around Avalon. There are several places that rent carts and they will run about $30 an hour. Here's a link for more info...

http://www.ecatalina.com/a_golf_cart.cfm

The Flyer is terrific. We've used it once and it was a very smooth and enjoyable ride. Gets you there in about 90 minutes from Marina del Ray.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike or golf cart?

I'm not sure about the Marina Flyer but on Catalina express you can pay to bring your bike.I think it is about $7 each way for the bike. My husband always brings his along on our longer stays. Not sure if this is an option from you if you are coming from Oregon.

(hey VC-I recognize you from the Maui forums)

Pasadena
Level Contributor
534 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike or golf cart?

We were on Catalina last weekend. We rented a golf cart from a family operation that is the closest to the boat dock area.

It was cash only, no credit cards. There is an ATM machine in the dock area. They charged us $40 per hour, with a $40 deposit. If you wanted to go over the one hour time limit, they prorated the cost and took it out of the deposit.

They gave us a map that easily highlighted which roads you can take. It is hilly, so believe me, there were spots where we were very grateful to have the cart.

The self guided tour (using the map) was great. And, we were back in 1 hour. Friendly service, nice guys, and received our $40 deposit back no problem.

Lakewood, California
Level Contributor
44 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike or golf cart?

Why not do both? You won't be able to explore the island like you think. Rented golf carts are limited in regards to where they can go. I would suggest the 3-4 hour inland tour if you really want to experience the island and see some buffalos.

5. Re: Bike or golf cart?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 07:16