We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

60th birthday celebration

california
3 posts
Save Topic
60th birthday celebration

My husband is turning 60 and we would like to celebrate it with a lunch or dinner with the family. Could someone recommend a good resturant for good food? and this would be with children.

some of our party will be doing some island activites. so I am trying to think whether it would be better for lunch or dinner for time restrictions.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 60th birthday celebration

We had a fabulous dinner at both The Country Club and Avalon Grille last November. The Country Club is at the golf course and is a very quiet setting. Avalon Grille is right on Crescent Avenue and a bit more lively. We took our children (ages 8 & 11) to both places and they did fine. Excellent food and service at both locations. You might shoot for dinner if some member of your party are planning tours. Both locations take reservations and will accomodate a larger party easily. We had up to 25 people for dinner at The Country Club. Avalon Grille is a fairly new restaurant.

visitcatalinaisland.com/avalon/poin_countryC…

visitcatalinaisland.com/avalon/dini_avalonGr…

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,489 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 60th birthday celebration

If it were my 60th Birthday, and I'm way past that age, I'd want to go to the Country Club for a dinner party. We've held our group of 30 Golf Tourney awards dinner there for many years, a very lovely place. Been to most all the restaurants in Avalon over the last fifty years and this is the most special for an ocassion.

Dinner allows for people to do the day's activities, then clean up for a nice relaxing meal. Have fun.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 60th birthday celebration

CANative,

We've celebrated our wedding anniversary in Avalon for years. We were married at Two Harbors 20 years ago. We have wonderful dinner parties at The Country Club with all of our friends and they have done a fabulous job with larger groups. Avalon Grille is a great place but a bit loud for my tastes (almost as bad as Josselin's). Next time we go to Avalon Grille, we will request a table on the side patio. But again, the food and service were excellent there as well.

Marti

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,489 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 60th birthday celebration

Congratulations on being married 20 years Marti. Sounds like you've enjoyed all your trips to Catalina over the years, great memories.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 60th birthday celebration

Thanks! 20 years is in September so we may have two celebrations. One on Kauai in September and another one, in Avalon during the triathlon weekend in November. We have several friends coming to Avalon and we will probably do a special dinner at The Country Club since they do a great job. Maybe, dinner at Avlon Grille early on Friday since hubby will be competing on Saturday morning.

Oh and try the zipline in Avalon. My youngest has done ziplining twice now on Kauai but was too young for the one in Avalon (minimum age is 10).

Edited: 19 March 2011, 01:45
Avalon Ca.
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 60th birthday celebration

I would recomend Steves Steak House. It is right in the middle of town on front street with a full view of Avalon Bay. The food is excellent and they have the best service staff in town. Steves is less than a 5 minute walk from all tour locations, so you could get in and out for tours in a short time if you decide to do lunch.They take reservation, and can accomadate large parties. I manage a mexican restaurant in town and would recomend my place, but it sounds like you are looking for something a bit more upscale. Steves is the only restaurant that I have sent people to that I have not receive a complaint about. It is also my favorite place to go for a great dining experiance. Hope this helps.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 60th birthday celebration

My only comment on Steve's (yes, I heard it was excellent as well). But double check your reservations the day of your event. We made reservations for 5 the weekend of the triathlon. Needless to say, they were very busy that night. The person at the front desk could not find my reservation anywhere and looked for over 5 minutes and then told me it would be a 2 hour wait. I had two children and two triathletes with me, none of which were willing to wait for food. So we went elsewhere I emailed Steve back and he told me his hostess was looking at the wrong sheet. I would have liked to try it! oh well.

8. Re: 60th birthday celebration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 22:15