We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer at Catalina Island!

Edmond, OK
5 posts
Save Topic
First Timer at Catalina Island!

I will be taking my wife on a "surprise" trip to Catalina this June or July. It will be our fifth wedding anniversary. Of course I want our trip to be fun, exciting, and romantic. We'll be coming from Texas. She thinks we'll be staying in Anaheim the whole time but I have Catalina up my sleeve. I need some advice on my plans. I'm planning on staying two nights on the island. Here's my plan so please evaluate and give some feedback: I plan on us flying from California to Catalina via helicopter. I know she will "freak" about going on a helicopter. I probably will also. I heard you can sometimes see the sharks in the ocean. It just sounds like a fun and exciting way to get there. Which hotel should we stay at? Of course we're on our anniversary, so something kind of nice but it doesn't have to be the Waldorf. Something in the 75-150 dollar per night range. I know we'll want to hit the "Chi-Chi Club." I have heard about the submarine boats. I'm also interested in an evening cruise to see the "flying fish???" and the seals. A booze cruise sounds fun if they have one. Also, what about the tour? A nice restaurant for one meal? Best beach area? Nightlife? I heard about some neat movie theater??? What is the temperature during the days and nights during June and July? To get back to California we will take a boat. I need something quick but inexpensive. I appreciate your imput and attention to my post.

Yakima, WA
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: First Timer at Catalina Island!

ELF mentioned LaPalama Cottages. Doe anyone have a phone number or contact information for them? How is the stay there?

I'm headed to Catalina for my first visit too.

tar
Winnipeg Manitoba
Level Contributor
17 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Timer at Catalina Island!

Hello all! I had read some of the ideas posted here. We were on vacation in Calif. and it was our 33rd Anniv. I stole some of the ideas! We were to go to Avalon by Helicopter but due to poor visability we went by boat. We returned by Helicopter. I have writen a review of the Hermosa Hotel, which has not been posted, at this writing. We loved Catalina! Thanks for your suggestions! Antonio's(?) by the Sea was great! I'm too old to think of some of these things by my self!