We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sliding down the sand dunes

Mifflin, PA
6 posts
Save Topic
Sliding down the sand dunes

I think I read on a tripadvior forum that someone suggested using plastic saucer-like things (that you use for sledding on snow) to slide down the sand dunes. My husband didn't think that would work because of getting bogged down in the sand. I think it sounds like fun if it works, but we don't feel like hauling the extra stuff along if it won't. Can anyone give me some advice???

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
666 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sliding down the sand dunes

The plastic saucers DO work, especially for lighter-weight people (e.g. kids), but a little silicon spray or WD-40 can help things along for us "big kids". I've seen people create sleds from pieces of cardboard, with duct-tape on the bottom to add to the slippery-ness.

I've personally skied down the dunes on my telemark skis (see: http://www.greatsanddunes.info/Telemark.htm),

and found the spray to be extremely helpful to smooth out the ride.

"Boogie-boards" are also quite popular.

I've seen various slide-devices sold at the local shop just outside the entrance to Great Sand Dunes -- the Sand Dunes Oasis store.

Then again, simply running down the dunes, or rolling down (if you don't mind getting sand in EVERYTHING) can be loads of fun as well. Just use your imagination, and pretend to be a kid again! ;-)