We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop between Denver and Moab, Utah in mid April?

Level Contributor
144 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stop between Denver and Moab, Utah in mid April?

We are traveling with our 9 year old son from Denver to Moab to see the national parks there on April 15th. We would like to stop one night on the way. We thought we might even have to due to weather. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Moab
Moab
Utah
evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stop between Denver and Moab, Utah in mid April?

I recommend Glenwood Springs, right on I-70, take a soak in the hot springs.

Mentioned in this post
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stop between Denver and Moab, Utah in mid April?

Glenwood Springs would be about mid-way and you could play at the hot springs pool there and see the historic Hotel Colorado, destination of many famous and infamous visitors from presidents to gunslingers.

If you'd like to play in the snow a bit, Vail would be a likely spot.

I think my choice would be to go on to Grand Junction, see a bit of Colorado National Monument, (or go ice skating at the Glacier Arena) and have an easy trip to Moab the next day. If you get there in time, your son (and you, too!) would enjoy Dinosaur Journey. museumofwesternco.com/visit/dinosaur-journey/

Edited: 07 March 2010, 14:39
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Colorado
Hotel Colorado
1,157 Reviews
Glenwood Springs, CO
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Colorado National Monument
Colorado National...
1,438 Reviews
Fruita, CO
Moab
Moab
Utah
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stop between Denver and Moab, Utah in mid April?

I see that you posted in the Almont forum and that reminded me of an alternate route. (mid April will probably be nice weather but there's always a chance of snowstorms, so good to have an alternate route in mind.) You could take Hwy 285/50 through Gunnison and on to Montrose to see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, then it would be approx 3 hour drive to Moab the next day.

Mentioned in this post
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Black Canyon
Black Canyon
766 Reviews
Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park, CO
Moab
Moab
Utah
USA
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stop between Denver and Moab, Utah in mid April?

Thank you everyone! We decided to stop in Glenwood springs. Our son would like the warm pool and probably the cavern there. It's good to know an alternate route too in case there is a problem. We will stop in Grand Junction during our drive to Moab and check it out. Thank you for the help!

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Where to stop between Denver and Moab, Utah in mid April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2010, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about Almont