We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather, road conditions, activities

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,514 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Weather, road conditions, activities

We are set to arrive in Aspen for 3 night on Monday. We have prepaid accommodation, cancelling will forfeit all monies paid.

We’re working our way there from our current location in northern NM, and weather forecasts for the whole area shows getting colder with precipitation, thus snow for Aspen, for the next couple of days.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions, words of wisdom, please? We were hoping for the last of the fall colours and some decent hiking!

Thank you.

19 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather, road conditions, activities

Snow in the forecast Monday but Tuesday and Wed. look nice.

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather, road conditions, activities

The best thing to do is monitor the road ahead and be flexible with your plans.

www.cotrip.org or their app work great. There are cameras aimed at roads all over the state so you can keep an eye on changing conditions. If things look bad, then be ready to stay where you are.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,514 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather, road conditions, activities

Thanks so much for your responses.

I’m pretty familiar with and usually use the cotrip website. It’s got me out of a fix previously!

We plan to stop in Alamosa tonight, and will drive from there up to Aspen. My intended route, would be to take highway 285 north through Buena Vista and then take CO 82 from around Twin Lakes. However, I do know that’s a pretty bendy route with some high passes - that’s why I originally planned to drive that way. If we route instead via Gunnison, we still have Monarch Pass to contend with.

What other options do we have?

Which route either has lower passes or are more likely to be kept clear of snow by the DOT?

Once we reach Aspen, it does seem like the weather is improving so we should be OK once there until we need to leave and head to our next high mountain hiking area later in the week!

Thanks again.

SWT

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,190 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather, road conditions, activities

Hwy 82 is Independence Pass, I don't think I'd want to try that with snow on the ground. Probably will be closed temporarily if there is snow. Monarch Pass is much easier to drive and will be plowed before Independence Pass is.

There is another route from Saguache to Gunnison, very low pass. From Alamosa drive west to Monte Vista on US160 then north on US285 to Saguache. Then west on Co 114 to US50 east of Gunnison. This is an easier drive than Monarch Pass.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,514 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather, road conditions, activities

Thanks, so much, Casa, for that route. We have slid over Monarch before which is why I’m wary, and yes, was loooking for ways to avoid Independence Pass!

From Montrose, would the best route be to drive to Grand Junction. Pick up I 70 as far as Glenwood Springs and take the road from there to Aspen?

Thanks.

SWT

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,190 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather, road conditions, activities

I think you don't have to go to Grand Junction, head west from Gunnison to Montrose, then north to Delta, over to Hotchkiss, Paonia Via CO 92/133 then to Redstone and Carbondale. Check road conditions on this route. If you had more time you could visit Great Sand Dunes NP, one of my favorite places!!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,514 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather, road conditions, activities

Thanks again for your patience!

Now we’re in our hotel room and I can study my paper map properly I can see your route, and can see it offers the lowest passes possible, the highest being just over 10k mile high. Just being a dangerous choice of words with tomorrow’s forecast. Once it starts to snow in the morning, I can check out the webcams on cotrip and see what it offers. All routes are still dry for now.

We have visited Great Sand Dunes 3 year’s ago, so no harm done. Actually I must be a rain goddess because we got rain on the dunes which made for strange conditions and crappy photos. This early snow in the mountains is playing havoc with the trip plan, as we had hoped to drive Trail Ridge again, as we love those high mountain roads.

At least we had mostly nice conditions for our 3 days in Santa Fe earlier in the week!

SWT

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather, road conditions, activities

Safe travels! It's getting sloppy out there.

FWIW, unless closed, I tend to favor Monarch over the Saguache alternative.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,277 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather, road conditions, activities

Be safe SWT!

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather, road conditions, activities

The snow only happened up high to any consequnce. The road is wet and a little slushy right in Aspen and it is snowing but expected to stop in a couple hours. In our world, not a big deal. Sunny tomorrow. Can't imagine cancelling over this.

It will definitely be the last of fall colors. The snow and wind have been helping the leaves return to earth. Had a beautiful hike in Capitol Creek valley yesterday and there was some wonderful color but definitely past peak.

Reply to: Weather, road conditions, activities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted