We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me get to know more about Aspen, please?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Help me get to know more about Aspen, please?

My friend and I are planning to go there in March 2008 and we will stay there for 3 months, under work and travel program. We will be working at The Gant during our stay. I think Aspen is very interesting cuz I heard that many famous people usually go there and the guide book said it was a fun place to visit. I think that it will be such a great memory, if I go to Aspen. You know, living in a beautiful town surrounded by mountains. However, I need more information before I make a decision and I hope you all can help me with that.

1. How much does it cost to fly from Aspen to California or are there any other ways to go to CA from Aspen? and to New York? I really want to find out about this because I will take my friend with me,right? and she has never been to the US before, but I have, so I want to take her to more popular places that have various tourist attractions.

2. Do many tourists go to Aspen during spring? Im afraid that if I go there in spring and its a low season, it will not be a good idea to go to work there.

3. Are they any stores like TJ Maxx or Marshalls near Aspen? I love TJ Maxx and I think the stuff there are very cheap and affordable, so I really want to shop there...hopefully every week!

4. Should I go there or should I go to Missoula, Montana instead? Missoula is my second choice. I prefer to be in the northern part of the country becuase Im from Thailand, so i really want to get away from the hot and humid weather. Key West, Florida is also one of my considerations. Should I go there or should I not?

I dont know where I should go and I dont know where it will be the best place for me. I have to make a decision now because the agency wants me to decide where I want to go as soon as possible, or else there will be no positions left.

I really hope that you all will help me about this. Im looking forward to your answers and suggestions. Thank you so much!

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me get to know more about Aspen, please?

I remember your post from several weeks ago where I answered your message about arriving in March and working for 3 months. Have you already been hired at the Gant for spring off-season? Very few hotels do any hiring for "mud" season and there will be very little work once the resort closes mid-Apri. You will NOT see any famous people and very few NON famous people in the month of May. That's when locals leave on vacations.

1. Flights vary, I fly constantly and usually pay $300-450 for California and $350-550 for NYC. There are other ways to get to CA and NY than flying but the US is a huge country and you'd be looking at a very long road trip, especially to NY.

2. No...as mentioned above and in my previous response to your post almost no tourists come here in the spring once the mountain closes. They start returning at the start of June.

3. No TJ Maxx or others like it. Real estate is too expensive here for discount department stores. The closest is Denver, 4 hours away. There are consignment stores here and several posts on this. Please search the forum and you'll find more info.

4. I do not know what is in Missoula Montana or why someone would go there from Thailand. You are looking at some VERY different places. For March for 3 months I'd personally go to Key West, but that's just me.

Good luck on your journey!

2. Re: Help me get to know more about Aspen, please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 13:17