We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long should we spend in Aspen?

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How long should we spend in Aspen?

We are going to Aspen in Feb 2008 - we plan to be in Colorado for 3 weeks - do we spend 2 weeks in Aspen and 1 week somewhere else, or 3 weeks in Aspen and do the odd day trip if we feel like it?

We have had to words of advice:

Some say we are mad not to spend our 3 weeks in Aspen as it's so fantastic and there is so much to see and do if we don't ski every day (which we won't)

Others say we should see around the area a bit, especially seeing we're travelling all that way from Australia - and maybe spend a week or so in Telluride or Vail.

Any advice?

Thank you!

ps. Another thing - I would like to buy a pair of 'dressier' apres ski boots for walking around/going out for dinner - do you suggest I buy now in Australia while the stock is all coming in and I am guaranteed my size etc (about $200 here), or should I wait and buy them in Aspen in early Feb - am I risking not getting what I want as it's getting closer to the end of their season??? Thanks.

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
638 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long should we spend in Aspen?

Three straight week of skiing ... Must say I envy you!

Gosh, I would spread it all over. But that is just me.

Maybe a week or so on your way to Aspen in Breckenridge/Copper/Vail/Beaver Creek (where are you flying into?)

Then time in Aspen.

Maybe some time in Crested Butte or Telluride, but those are a little bit harder to get to in the winter. And depends on where you are flying in/out of.

But with three weeks I think I would split it. Aspen is great, but three weeks is a long time.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long should we spend in Aspen?

Lucky you! I think that you should buy your apres ski boots there now to assure you get what you want in your size. Chances are they'd cost twice as much in Aspen!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long should we spend in Aspen?

Thanks for the advice! I can't believe we are going for 3 weeks either - my husband and I just LOVE skiing, and we are leaving our 3 young children behind - exciting but weird! We just want to do it properly which is why I'm doing all the research.

Thanks for the tips.

(not sure where we are flying into yet - going to the Travelplan Ski expo next week and will be able to start narrowing down the options afer that we hope)

Any other 'insider' advice on either Aspen or great surrounding mountains would be fantastic.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long should we spend in Aspen?

Regarding boots, there are not as many stores in Aspen as in Melbourne so you may have a little bit of difficulty finding exactly what you want in the size you want.

Most people reading here would probably be surprised to know how expensive Australia is. Shoe shopping in the US- and yes, even Aspen- is usually more affordable than in Australia, and now for Australians since you're at .96 exchange rate to our dollar there is almost no loss to you to shop here and prices are much less. (Exception to this would be if you're interested in Uggs as they are an Australian brand they will be less for you at home.)

To avoid disappointment at a lack of size or styles on the spot in Aspen, my recommendation would be to go to www.zappos.com before your trip and pick out several pairs of boots and have them shipped to your hotel in Aspen just before your arrival.

Try them all on, keep the pair(s) you want, then go to the business center or internet area of your hotel, go into your zappos account online, print return shipping labels and have the front desk send them back out. Return shipping is free and a very good deal. If I can't get to the big city this is how I buy all of my shoes and boots.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long should we spend in Aspen?

Thanks Jennifer - that is a great help.

6. Re: How long should we spend in Aspen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Aspen