We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will the X Games @ Buttermilk Impact our Stay?

DC
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Will the X Games @ Buttermilk Impact our Stay?

We're thinking of coming to Aspen/Snowmass Jan 18-23 and base our stay at Snowmass Village. It appears that the Xgames is held Jan 22-25 at Buttermilk.

Do you think that this will impact our stay much?

Should we move our dates?

We will most likely board and ski at Snowmass around that time..

Any input or advice is greatly thankful..

Thank you for your time and help.

Nat

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will the X Games @ Buttermilk Impact our Stay?

Only in a good way.

The X Games is a thrilling event with as much or as little to participate in as you wish. All events are held at the bottom of Buttermilk and while it may seem incredibly busy there, you'd find Buttermilk mountain itself empty, and the other mountains not impacted at all.

The resort will be sold out, but that's also the same thing that occurs at Christmas, New Year's, President's Week, Easter....Sold out in Aspen/Snowmass doesn't even come close to the crowds that define the holiday time periods in resorts much closer to Denver.

It will not negatively impact your stay at all.

northern california
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will the X Games @ Buttermilk Impact our Stay?

We have been there during X game time the last several years and have not found it to have much of an impact. Aspen gets really busy at night and the waits can be longer at some of the more inexpensive eateries (New York Pizza, Cantina). The bar at Jimmy's sees alot of activity especially the last night of the games. We always stay in Aspen so I don't know how things are in Snowmass - I would guess similiar.

We think it's a lot of fun to see this younger crowd and enjoy taking a day off and going out to Buttermilk to watch the fun. It sounds like you will be there during more of the preliminary so it shouldn't impact you at all.

DC
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will the X Games @ Buttermilk Impact our Stay?

Thank you so much for all the replies..

We are coming in on the 18th and heading out on the 23rd. Hopefully, it wont be crazy because the games dont start till the 22nd? but too late now, the house is booked..

We will however, be eating out in Aspen often so it may get alil crazy..

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will the X Games @ Buttermilk Impact our Stay?

I still think crazy in a good way. The energy is incredibly fun, the town has a great vibe, it's a great time.

Word to the wise- make all of your dinner reservations in advance of your arrival into the resort. That will smooth things out for you as far as dinners in town.

I'm normally not "that person" who would advocate this, but heck, go ahead and book a couple of different places for each night, and cancel what you don't want at least by early afternoon that day so you can decide if you feel like going out or not or what cuisine you feel like.

Under any other circumstance I wouldn't suggest it, but in the case of X Games the restaurant will have no trouble taking the next caller or walk in who didn't book a table. If you are a party of 10 or 12, that's not going to be quite as "good karma" a thing to do. In that case, try to cancel your unwanted table at least 24 hours in advance.

DC
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will the X Games @ Buttermilk Impact our Stay?

Good deal..I didnt think about that.

Thanks for the tips Jennifer!

New York City
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will the X Games @ Buttermilk Impact our Stay?

X-Games won't impact your stay at all. I'm 65 years of age and an avid skier and stayed with a group of about 15 of my college classmates in Aspen last year during the X-Games, and we were concerned that the games would mean lots of nutty boarders crowding the slopes and lots of boozing Gen Xers filling up the restaurants. Didn't happen. Indeed, we never even knew they were there (other than it being very difficult to book a hotel room during that period). And if they weren't visible in Aspen, you won't see anything of them in Snowmass.

7. Re: Will the X Games @ Buttermilk Impact our Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Aspen