We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with 11 year old

Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with 11 year old

We are taking our 11 year old son to Colorado. What is a good town and resort to stay at?

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with 11 year old

You have posted your question under the Aspen forum, but it sounds like at this point you're only decided on coming to the state and not a resort(s) yet? The general Colorado forum might be a better place for that question. Also, it would be helpful to know what time of the year you're coming, what you like to do, and possibly a budget.

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with 11 year old

What does your son like to do? How much money do you want to spend?

I think one of the most fun things to do is to stay at a guest ranch. However, it's not cheap.

The C Lazy U and the Home Ranch are the ones I know best, but for other options check out http://www.coloradoranch.com/

Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with 11 year old

Thanks for the suggestions. We want to go around the time when there will be plenty snow on the ground. What months will be good? We don't want anything to expensive but you can still give suggestions on anything. We are first time to a ski destination.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with 11 year old

We all still probably need you to be a bit more specific, so perhaps check out this information then come back with detailed questions.

For "plenty of snow on the ground" late November through April.

For things to do with an 11 year old- skiing/snowboarding will be the most obvious answer. For more information on that and many more ideas, visit www.aspensnowmass.com.

Lodging, "not too expensive" is still pretty broad because expensive to one person is not to another. I'd check out www.stayaspensnowmass.com and plug in some dates to see what type of pricing on hotels or condos is available. If you are traveling at holidays prices will be higher. If you can avoid holidays then you will save money. After Thanksgiving and before Christmas will be much more affordable, as often early April until the chairlifts close next season on Apr 11, though exactly how much less expensive depends on spring break patterns around the country.

Those two sites should get you started, then come back with some more questions if you wish.

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with 11 year old

Winter ski vacation in Colorado = expensive IMHO. The daily lift tickets alone are enough to break the bank.

I know you posted on the Aspen board, but I'm reading this on the general Colorado forum so I hope I'm not stepping on toes if I recommend Summit County. Summit County will easily give you access to Keystone, Breckenridge, and Copper... and Vail is not too far down the road.

I know Keystone best and it offers night skiing, tubing, ice skating and cross country skiing. In the general area you can also go dog sledding, rent snow mobiles, and even take a balloon ride.

As for time of year, I'd recommend early March. You will have all the snow you want.

Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with 11 year old

Thanks. I'll look into these suggestions.

7. Re: Traveling with 11 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 05:18