We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lakes to kayak/canoe, and whitewater rafting question

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
lakes to kayak/canoe, and whitewater rafting question

Has anyone done the Class II - III whitewater rafting through Aspen Whitewater Rafting? They have 2 runs that sound good, on the Roaring fork river. They sound a little mellower than most class III's and therefore perfect for us. If anyone has been, is it worth it and is the scenery nice?

Also, are there any nice lakes to kayak or canoe near Aspen, and if so where do you recommend?

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lakes to kayak/canoe, and whitewater rafting question

Class II-III water is in my opinion quite mellow, and easily done with children, elderly, or those who are pretty sure they'd prefer not to end up swimming at some point of the trip. Have you talked to the company about your travel dates and if the rivers are still runnable? The later the summer goes the less snowmelt run off and the lower the water level. You'll want to make sure the tour you want is still running.

For canoeing, you may want to talk to Glenwood Canyon Kayak 970-928-9949 www.glenwoodkayak.com, Summit Canyon Mountaineering 970-945-6994, or Five Star Adventures 970-544-4700. I do not believe those two have websites.

California
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lakes to kayak/canoe, and whitewater rafting question

Thanks. I've always wanted to try Whitewater rafting but hubby is a bit chicken about it, and I've never seen a run that is almost all class II, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for both of us. So yes, we are looking for a wimpy run. :) We are planning for July next year, the reason I am asking all these questions now is to figure out how many days in each place, e.g, if we do the whitewater we may stay an extra day in Aspen, since it sounds like whitewater closer to Breck is more typical class III. Sounds like some of the lodging recommends making reservations 8 - 9 months out, so I'd like to figure out what we are doing in the next few months before we book.

3. Re: lakes to kayak/canoe, and whitewater rafting question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2010, 07:17