We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

We are going to Aspen next month and I have a good idea of what I want, but just not sure on the specific places. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) We want an upscale hotel right around town and all the shopping, etc. (maybe around $200-$300/night)

2) Any recommendations on good spas closeby?

3) I would like to ski for a day and want to do mostly blues. Does one of the Aspen mountains offer that?

4) I would like to go on an evening sleigh ride with a private dinner or something like that.'

5) We would like to do a sled ride down a mountain or a tube.

Thanks,

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

1. upscale and your budget is not compatible. But with that said use this map

stayaspensnowmass.com/p-aspen-colorado-map.p…

and the http://www.stayaspensnowmass.com site to check prices for your time period.

2. St. Regis is the best IMO. stregisaspen.com/templates/section-view.php…

3. Take the gondola and ski the top portion of Aspen Mtn. Great area for mid-level skiers. Make sure you eat at the Sundeck. Great food, great views. Today's front pic at http://www.aspensnowmass.com/ offers a nice view of town and Aspen Mtn. ski area.

4. T-Lazy-7 Ranch used to have sleigh rides (I thought) but only snowmobile now through Maroon Bells Wilderness area. But for sleigh rides contact http://www.aspencarriage.com/sleighrides.htm

5. No formal sledding area in Aspen except at the ARC (Aspen Rec Center). There's a hill out back but you'll need a tube or saucer. Call for info at (970) 544-4100.

extra . . . nice Aspen food guide at http://www.foodieaspen.com/

Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

Thanks for the info. I looked at the map. I had been looking at the St Regis, but I was not sure how far it was from the shopping. Where is the shopping? Main St? If so, how far is the St Regis from there? Thanks,

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

Aspen is a small town. Main St is not a shopping street. Mostly lodging and traffic.

Durant, Cooper, Hyman are the main E to W shopping areas from abt Mill to West End. St Regis is close to everything but not in town middle.

This photo will give you sense of scale . . .

skitracer.com/images/photos/large/aspen.jpg

Aspen Block bldg in the pic is at the corner of the Hyman Avenue Mall and Galena Street.

Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

OK, cool. So you recommend the St. Regis? Mountain views (from the mountain view rooms) and roughly a 5 minute walk to shopping. Is that correct? Thanks for your help!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

You're living large staying at the St. Regis. If you got it within your budget even better. The spa is outstanding but I'd recommend reserving in advance.

You can walk the outdoor malls and see all the shops --w/o stopping-- in probably 20-25 minutes. Make sure you stop in the Paradise Bakery. Nice eats and coffee.

Enjoy.

Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

Is there something closer to the shopping that would still have mountain views for around $300/night? Thanks,

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

Walking across downtown Aspen from one side to the other is 20-30 minutes, tops. I would find a place that fits your budget first, then worry about proximity to shopping. Don't blow another $200/night just to be 5 minutes closer. Do check out Luv2Ski's rec to look at Stay Aspen Snowmass to find what's in your budget, map as well.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

I concur with the other posters that you needn't worry about "getting closer" to shopping in Aspen. It is all within a few blocks and pretty much any hotel/ lodge/condo in the downtown area is close to shopping. If you are in skiboots and schelpping skis then I'd pay some attention to how far you are going to be walking to a bus or the lift. For that consideration I recommend staying on the bus line or within 4 blocks of the Gondola.

One price consideration is that the rates for all lodging in Aspen vary tremendously by date. In early December (before Dec 20) rates are quite reasonable, the rates from Dec 20 to Jan 4 are very very high and then the rates are moderate for January and early February.

For that romantic sleigh ride and dinner afterwards, I recommend the Pine Creek Cookhouse in the Ashcroft Valley. You will need a car to get there or you can take an (expensive) taxi ride and arrange for pickup after dinner. I have done this on cross-country skis and it is a wonderful experience, especially when the moon is full. The food is also very good. You will probably need to book ahead. Here is the website:

http://www.pinecreekcookhouse.com/

9. Re: Where to stay in Aspen and things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2010, 05:19