We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to go to Aspen

Englang
1 post
Save Topic
Best time to go to Aspen

Have just won a ski holiday to Aspen, Any advice on best time to go, and what the temperatures are like. Also recommendations on places to eat reasonably, have been told its quite expensive.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to go to Aspen

Lucky Larry! Aspen is certainly a great location for a ski holiday, actually any time of the year! Any time from December through the end of March is a good time to go, although I suspect your trip won't be available around Christmas and New Year's - it's very crowded then. March is actually a fabulous time because the weather will probably be a little warmer and sunnier. It will be a lot colder than in "Englang," probably 10s-20s in the day and below zero at night. If the sun is out, though, when you're on the slopes, it can feel very warm and comfortable. A very, very strong sunscreen and sunglasses/goggles are mandatory!

Yes, Aspen has some very expensive restaurants, but there are plenty of places that won't bankrupt you. Check on this site for suggestions, but some places I've been to or heard of are Boogie's Diner, The Red Onion and Mexican places like Cantina. There is also a good sized grocery store (City Market) in the heart of town if you want to buy food for your room.

Hope you have a great trip!

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to go to Aspen

Congratulations! I wanna win a free trip to Aspen...

If you're looking for the best skiing, I would wait until later in the season. March is the best time for snow, but it's also Spring Break time here in the States, so it will be very busy. February might be a good compromise.

Food prices aren't cheap in Aspen, but they aren't outrageous, either. Aspen isn't a bargain, but it's on par with most other big tourist destinations in the States. There are many places where you can buy, say, a burger for under $10. Keep an eye out for restaurants with happy hours - they often offer deals like half-price appetizers from 3-6 p.m. Having lived as a ski bum for a couple of years, happy hours were what kept me well fed! ;-)

northern california
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to go to Aspen

We always come for the Winterskol celebration in mid Jan. The dog show, ice sculptures and fireworks on the Ajax mountain are hard to beat.

Check out the "bar menus" as a way to save money. Most places have them and they are less expensive.

northern california
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to go to Aspen

One more thought on timing your visit. Check out the Aspen/Snowmass or the Aspen Chamber of Commerce websites to see when the various special events are taking place. Jan. has Winterskol and then Gay Ski Week. Feb. the "XGames" are in town. etc.