We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas for non-skiers in Aspen

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Topic
Christmas for non-skiers in Aspen

I am spending three nights/two days in Aspen just after Christmas as a treat to myself to compensate for spending the holidays with in-laws.

My wife and I have two active boys, aged 14 and 6. We don't ski (and don't intend to start), although the 14 year old wants to try snowboarding.

What should we do? I'd like to snowshoe to the Maroon Bells. Is that possible or advisable?

I'm also looking at some sort of touristy sleigh-ride/dinner combo such as the Burlingame Cabin or Pine Village (with the kids). Any recommendations?

I must fill our days with activities or my wife will shop.

Thanks

northern california
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas for non-skiers in Aspen

Oh, she's going to shop no matter what else happens. It's impossible not to in that town. I'm not much of a shopper and I shop when we're there.

Not sure about Maroon Bells, I leave that to someone who snowshoes.

Check out Pine Creek Cookhouse for your sleighride/lunch or dinner. Lunch can be fun because then you can see the view.

Enjoy your visit. Sounds like a great Christmas present you're giving yourselves.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas for non-skiers in Aspen

Something else to consider that all age groups would like is the glenwood caverns (www.glenwoodcaverns.com). It's about 45 minutes from Aspen and really amazing, If you have a car it might be a fun thing to so in the afternoon or early evening. The food at their restaurant was pretty good too. Happy Holidays!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas for non-skiers in Aspen

Thanks for the tips on the cookhouse and the caverns. Alas, Pine Creek and the Burlingame cabin are both sold out, but I think I can get into the Lynn Britt cabin dinner. I assume it's a similar experience (super-touristy and probably overpriced?).

Hinsdale, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas for non-skiers in Aspen

Hey:

I have three boys (13, 9, 6) and took my oldest there last Easter and will be coming Dec. 27th..

I suggest you take the two boys to Buttermilk and buy them a full day or half day lesson (snowboardin' for the oldest, skiing for the young one) See how they do and they may want to ski the rest of the time. As for keeping the wife from shopping, there are only a few things to do in Aspen, and boarding and skiing are the biggies....but shopping is the next thing....sorry no help there...maybe drinking in the ski lodges? You will drop a lot of cash anywhere you go, so good luck....

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas for non-skiers in Aspen

Aspen is a very fun, beautiful town, but if you're not careful, it can quickly leave your wallet empty! If you do come to Glenwood for the caverns, I would also recommend the hot springs for your family, it is a nice relaxing way to spend some time and there is a lot less shopping, so it may help a bit with damage control ;). The maroon bells are beautiful, just be sure to drink tons of water to avoid altitude sickness and dress warm, it has been cold here lately!

Aspen
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas for non-skiers in Aspen

I am thinking of taking my family to the Lynn Brit Cabin as well, but

was wondering if it is worth the

price...$79 a person, not including

drinks, tax or tip...I have heard

great things about this place, but

they were all from people who didn't have to pay.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas for non-skiers in Aspen

Thanks, everyone, for all the great advice.

VacationinAspen: I'll report back on the Lynn Britt cabin. It is a bit pricey, but I didn't select Aspen because it was a budget destination (although I'm staying decidedly OUTSIDE of Aspen and commuting in)