We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

# of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
# of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

Independence in closed, so I'll have to take I-70 to Glenwood springs..does anyone know how long that drive is? I keep hearing it is 3 1/2 hours denver to aspen..but that appears to be using Indendence..which is closed in the winter. Please help.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: # of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

Yes, it's about 3-1/2 hours from Denver to Aspen via Glenwood Springs. It's approx. 200 miles, all but the last 40 on I-70 interstate. The driving time will depend upon the weather and what day of the week you're traveling (I-70 can be jammed with skiers on Friday nights and Sat. mornings leaving Denver) March is our snowiest month, so keep informed of the forecast and keep in mind that even if it's clear in Denver, it could be snowing heavily in the high country. Road crews do a fantastic job of keeping the pavement plowed and sanded, but you need to be aware of severe weather and possible closures.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: # of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

Thanks for the info. I've never even seen snow and I'm terrified of the idea of driving from Denver to Snowmass in March (the snowiest time of the year). It will be March 4-8. Dumb question: Do people just pull over on the side of the road when it is snowing and they cannot either see to drive or are sliding all over the road? I plan to rent a Subaru all wheel drive..but will Hertz give me chains for the tires? Maybe I should look at taking the bus instead of driving.

I can plan a Caribbean cruise like nobody's business..but this cold country stuff is way out of my league (native Floridian).

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: # of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

bevy888,

You may want to consider taking Colorado Mountain express cmex.com It's a little expensive to Aspen but worth your sanity if you haven't driven in the snow, you also get to enjoy the view instead of negotiate the road. I-70 through the mountains is just that 2 passes and alot of twists, if it's a nice day and you're comfortable driving on mountain roads it's beautiful, but if it's snowing it can be terrible.

I'm not sure if your stay is just for Aspen, but if it is you really don't need a car to get around. If you're staying in town most everything is in walking distance. The bus system is excellent and will get you from Aspen to Snowmass very easily and all points in between.

Have a wonderful time, drink lots of water and enjoy the snow, there's lots this year.

DM

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: # of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

You will have no problems with the roads when driving a Subaru AWD car from DIA to Snowmass. You will not need chains and the CDOT plows do an excellent job of snow removal. However, as “Shaken_Bake” says, traffic up from Denver on a weekend AM can be bumper to bumper as you near the Eisenhower Tunnel.

We made the trip in our 4WD Jeep 2 weeks ago after 10” of overnight snow, Loveland Pass was closed and chains were required for trucks up to the Tunnel and over Vail Pass. At 9 AM on a Sunday, it was 10 to 15 mph for the 12 miles from Georgetown up to the Tunnel. We left Golden [far west side of Denver] at 08:30 and were in Aspen by 3 PM after stopping for 1 hour at the factory outlet stores in Silverthorne and for lunch in Vail. By the afternoon, the up hill traffic will be less.

On the weekends after 4 PM, the traffic returning to Denver backs up from Silverthorne up to the Tunnel and from Georgetown through Idaho Springs.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: # of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

Wow...a lot of great info and all very appreciated. I'm keeping an eye on the weather. We will leave Denver at 2 p.m. on Saturday heading to Snowmass...Which would put us there by 5:30 (3 1/2 hours) if all went well....question is..if we are delayed...can a person drive to snowmass at night? Are there streetlights? I know that is a dumb question and I suppose by next week..I'll know the answer to this one. :)

When they close the roads..do they tell you how to get around them and to your destination?

We now have a firefighter friend from N.C. driving the car for us..so we may be o.k.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: # of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

Hi Bevy, I know it's easier said than done, but these posts above talk about worst case scenarios! Time to relax! Your drive, in all likelihood, will be trouble-free. Keep in mind how many people drive up to the ski areas every day. I-70 is at least a four-lane divided highway, wider in some places, and most likely dry pavement. People drive in the snow all the time without slipping and sliding and crashing.

If the highway is closed (very, very seldom does it happen) then there probably is no alternate route (not that many roads through the mountains - look at a map!); you would be directed to the nearest exit where you would find a hotel or shelter. But I hesitate to even tell you that because it's unlikely to happen because you'll keep informed of the forecast and not leave if the weather's THAT bad! BTW, right now, the extended forecast for next weekend in Denver is sunny and temp in the 50s! We're going to be near 70 today (and in the 40s on the slopes... spring skiing rocks!)

Sure, Snowmass has streetlights in the residential area. There's a long stretch of road to get into the area that I don't remember being lit, but that's what your high beams are for! The signage is good as well.

So chill, and just focus on what a great time you'll be having this time next week! Have a great trip!

Gilbertsville
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: # of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

I plan on driving to aspen from Denver in June on a weekend....the mapquest says four hours....170 miles on i-70 and 40 miles on 82. How many lanes are these highways? Mapquest said four hours is that right??

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,379 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: # of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

I70 is 4 lanes. I would think it would be a little less than four hours but that would be a good estimate.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: # of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

'boatingwhenwet'

It is 4-hours from Denver [junction of I-25/I-70] to Aspen. Four lane Interstate 70 to Glenwood Springs and then 4-lane divided Colorado highway 82 to Aspen. For about 40 miles, from Beaver Creek/Avon to Glenwood Canyon, the speed limit is 75 and cars will still be passing you.

Locals Only
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: # of Hours to Drive from Denver to Aspen in March

Hahahaha, if you are terrified of driving in the snow and sort of nervous in general, you should probably be thankful that Independance Pass is closed. Nothing like one-lane, two-way mountain highways with 1,000 feet of sheer vertical drop on the other side. That drive scares the sh*t out of me every time.

Yeah, its about 4 hours. Call C-DOT (google it) for road conditions on I-70 BEFORE YOU LEAVE DENVER, if there is a storm or something. Sometimes, it can get a little bad if they close the Eisenhower tunnel or vail pass-- our longest record time is 9 1/2 hours (huge wrecker in the tunnel & 4 feet of snow in 6 hrs). So be prepared if the weather is bad, for it to take longer.