We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how difficult is Aspen/Ajax mountain?

Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
how difficult is Aspen/Ajax mountain?

We stayed and skiied Snowmass last year and are planning on going back this winter. We are considering one full day in Aspen, but I keep reading that Ajax mtn/Aspen mtn is really for advanced skiiers only. My husband and I are comfortable on all the blue/intermediate trails in Snowmass. Any idea if the blues on Ajax are similar??

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how difficult is Aspen/Ajax mountain?

Aspen Mountain is for intermediate skiers/boarders and higher, not advanced skiers and boarders and higher. The blues on Aspen Mountain would be the same in terms of pitch, but the mountain overall is shorter and more narrow so they won't be the same sweeping, wide runs you have on Snowmass.

Go over for the day and if you're not happy it's so close to go back to Snowmass, so you don't really have to worry about planning a full day or feeling you've lost a day if you don't love it.

I would say the distinction between the two mountains is much more obvious on the black runs. Snowmass grooms several of the blacks and leaves the rest to become moguls whereas Aspen Mountain's black runs are all left to become moguls.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how difficult is Aspen/Ajax mountain?

Great runs on top half of Aspen Mtn. Ruthie's Run is a blast if you like speed. If not skiing you can spend time looking for shrines and eating a great meal at the Sundeck. To avoid the narrows on the way down --and traffic-- take the gondola back down

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how difficult is Aspen/Ajax mountain?

I am a "blue skier." I love Beaver Creek, Vail, etc. I tend to ski Highlands in Aspen, not Ajax. Ajax is mostly blacks. You can look at a map of the runs on-line. Not trying to discourage you, just sharing my opinion as a fellow "blue" skier.

Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how difficult is Aspen/Ajax mountain?

Thank you! I have looked at the maps and think we will do Highlands instead. Plenty of challenge for the kids, but fun for us "old folks" too! I appreciate you input!

Frankfort, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how difficult is Aspen/Ajax mountain?

I am the same level as you; blue/easy black and LOVE spending a day at Aspen Mountain. There are some blues off the Gondola and then it doesn't take long to get to the other side by Ruthie's Run. You can do Ruthie's 4 or 5 times and have a blast. It's one of my favorite runs of any mountain. There is a really fun not too hard mogul run off of Ruthie's that I love, too and there is a restaurant right there. Ruthie's is the beginning part of the downhill course for World Cup, so that makes it even more fun to ski.!

I have a harder time finding runs I like at Aspen Highlands.

6. Re: how difficult is Aspen/Ajax mountain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 06:18