We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildflowers in Aspen

USA
Level Contributor
884 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Wildflowers in Aspen

We will coming to beautiful Aspen sometime between Aug 6 to Aug 17. We have some flexibility in the exact dates and would like to see wildflowers. Any suggestions as to the timing when we'd see the most wildflowers? Any hikes ideas to see flowers? Thanks.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildflowers in Aspen

Sorry to say, it is doubtful that you will see many wildflowers then. Due to a very mild spring flowers were blooming 3 weeks earlier than usual and they are mostly gone already. You might still see some at higher elevations -- maybe on the hike to Linkins Lake from Independence Pass.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildflowers in Aspen

I still recommend coming to Aspen. Stay 2 nights in Aspen, hike over to Crested Butte (guaranteed to see tons of wild flowers) and then spend a night or 2 there. The hike is filled with tons of flowers and gorgeous scenery. The hike's about 10 miles, 6-7 hours. It's frequently traveled so if you're not super serious hikers, this is probably a great one for you. Relatively easy, just one big saddle to climb over (when I say climb, I mean walk.) : ) Both Aspen and Crested Butte are great summer mountain destinations.

You'd be able to catch the tail end of the Aspen Music Festival and School in Aspen (ends Aug 19)

http://www.aspenmusicfestival.com/

The Aspen Meadows is a great place to stay - the AMFS concerts are held right on property in a gorgeous Music Tent or in the Harris Concert Hall

aspenmeadows.com/promotions/seasonal-offers.…

Or check out www.stayaspensnowmass.com for Last Minute Lodging Specials in Aspen

I hope that this helps!

USA
Level Contributor
884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildflowers in Aspen

Thanks so much for the info. I'd love to do the Aspen to Crested Butte hike. We'll have our dog, and I'm afraid it's a bit long for her. Do you know if we hiked from Aspen for an hour toward Crested Butte, would we see many wildflowers or would we have to hike longer before the flowers? Thinking of driving to Crested Butte and then we could hike in from that side, too. Thanks.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildflowers in Aspen

You'd have to hike for more than an hour - I would say at least 2 hours, but the hike from Maroon Bells/Aspen side toward Crested Butte is gorgeous. I would recommend doing that than hiking in for just a few hours from the Crested Butte side.

If you're in Aspen and have a car - I highly recommend driving out to Ashcroft and taking a tour of the ghost town. It's gorgeous out there, and will probably still have some flowers. There's always a guide out there and it doesn't cost anything to have them take you around. Also, from the ghost town you can walk along the river to the Pine Creek Cookhouse which is delicious for lunch or dinner. It's a short and easy hike that your dog would definitely be able to handle.

Unfortunately because of the funky weather patterns we've had the wild flowers bloomed a lot earlier this year. You'll still see some while you're here but not the massive amounts during their peak bloom.

Did I mention that the Aspen Meadows Resort is pet friendly? There are also hiking trails that connect to the property which is great for dog walking and exercise.

5. Re: Wildflowers in Aspen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 23:17