We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car in Aspen

Ottawa
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Car in Aspen

I'll be driving a rented car to Aspen from Denver in May on my first visit to Colorado for a conference. Since it is off season, I found an excellent deal at the Hotel Jerome but they only offer valet parking. This kind of negates the good deal for the room. Does anyone know anything about parking in Aspen? Any alternatives to valet parking? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car in Aspen

You could ask the Hotel Jerome for alternatives. I did that when staying at the Denver Mariott and they directed me to the nearest parking garage (which was the exact same place the valets parked cars at).

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car in Aspen

Parking in Aspen is the pits. Unless you own property with a drive, there is no free parking. The Rio Grande parking garage is located in the next block up from the Hotel Jerome. The rates there would be a little better than the Jerome (I'm guessing). You can go to the website, www.aspenpitkin.com/depts/61/riogrande.cfm for rates.

A few words of warning...there is NO free parking in Aspen except on Sunday. Residential areas require a tag, downtown core requires money and they WILL issue tickets and then tow your vehicle. Sundays are always free downtown and you can park downtown after 6pm for free. You just have to pay attention the signs.

This time of year, the weather is so nice that you will probably walk almost anywhere you go in town. They also have bus shuttles that run if you prefer. If you are looking for inexpensive, casual food, I highly recommend Johnny McGuires for a great sandwich or the Big Wrap. Bentley's and the Red Onion are also good for casual sit down meals.

If you like live music with great sound, check out Belly Up. You can see who is playing at Bellyupaspen.com.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car in Aspen

The Rio Grande parking garage is next to the Hotel Jerome and they charge $12.50 per day, but you can not go in and out for the daily charge. Most of Aspen is walkable from the Jerome but if you need to drive back and forth from something Valet may be better since you are only charged once per day. Have a great time, the off season usually means great specials at restaurants so check the local paper for deals. DM

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car in Aspen

The other respondants to your post are right. The Rio Grande garage is your only other option, but there are no in and out privleges. The only other option that might be worth considering is if you really need to rent a car from Denver in the first place. Unless you'll be stopping along the way or have multiple destinations in Denver other than the airport, you may want to consider Colorado Mountain Express. Check www.cmex.com for pricing and scheduled service. They'll take you take you right from DIA to your door at the Jerome. Also, the tip about off season restaurant deals is dead on. Campo de Fiori does one of the best: two courses and a glass of wine for $15.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car in Aspen

FYI - Hotel Jerome's off season Valet Parking is $10 instead of $25. That starts today and goes until the specials are over at the end of May.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car in Aspen

Great! Thank you everyone - you've been unbelievably helpful. I'll confirm with the Jerome that their valet parking is on special. Otherwise will use the Rio Grande. I only need the car to get to Aspen and back. Thank you all again!

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car in Aspen

Just thought I would pass on some info for anyone vacationing in Aspen this summer. The city of Aspen is offering a $50 gas voucher to visitors who stay two nights or more at a hotel in town. They are also offering a free pass to the community center (pool, skating rink, workout facility,etc.) and a free bus ride to the Maroon Bells. I'm sure all of the hotels in town have the details, but if not you could check with the City of Aspen or the Chamber of Commerce.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car in Aspen

The Gas promotion is true. To get the promotion, you have to make your reservation through Stay Aspen Snowmass central reservations. www.stayaspensnowmass.com or 1-800-262-7736. It is not able to be combined with other discounts, and doesn't apply to reservations that already exist. (In otherwords, the vouchers come from the Chamber when you make your reservation. You can't get them just by stopping at the Front Desk of a hotel and asking for one.) It is still a GREAT deal. Especially in the summer when most lodges don't discount on the weekends. This is a good way to get extra value!

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car in Aspen

Thanks Travelgirl2006. I had not heard all of the details on the promo, just knew it could certainly help if traveling on a budget.