We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

Would it be risky to drive from Denver airport to Aspen in February? The flights are so much less than flying into Vail or Aspen but we will need to get back on time for a debate tournament. The difference is $1,300. Advice please.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

Flights this year from Denver to Aspen are limited to one airline, United, and yes RT rates are very high. The drive is I-70 to Glenwood Springs, then 4 lane 40 minute drive to Aspen . . . in good weather. Abt 4 hrs but can be much longer depending on time you travel, e.g. Fri night, Sat morn, Sun afternoon on return trip, and of course, the weather.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,108 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

Yes, give yourselves plenty of time to get back. What day would you be heading back to Denver? If Sunday, then consider heading east early Sunday morning or even Saturday afternoon to miss the Sunday traffic. The volume of traffic on snowy or icy roads slows things down, but it also increases the risk that an accident somewhere ahead of you will close the interstate for a period of time.

Edited: 11 December 2012, 18:15
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,482 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

If you're looking to ski, why not fly into Salt Lake City and Ski Utah instead? It's a lot more convenient and tons of non-stops every day from Atlanta.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

Our friends father has a home in Aspen (he will be in Florida at the time and offered it to us) so we would not have to pay for lodging. I would love to ski Utah someday!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

Thank you for your reply. Will will be heading back home on Thursday (Presidents holiday week). Do you think its worth spending more to fly in and out of Vail or Aspen?

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

Personally I feel it's worth it to fly into Aspen or at the very least Eagle/Vail. The 4+ hour drive up from Denver is long, traffic and weather are unpredictable and can easily spoil a good vacation. You may also check into flying to Grand Junction, no mountain passes and only about 2 hours away.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

Thank you so much. I will look into that as well.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,108 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

What a great opportunity! Sounds like so much fun!

Since you really must be back--no wiggle room since you don't want to miss your debate tournament, I'd either fly back a day early or at least head back to Denver the day before departure. Or, yes, it would be worth it to fly in to Eagle/Vail or Grand Junction. It is usually a much easier drive from Grand Junction, as dogmama points out. No mountain passes, plus much less traffic. It will be more expensive than flying in to Denver, but worth it, IMO.

Another option for winter time flights would be Montrose, about an hour south of Grand Junction on a good (usually dry, too) four lane highway. The Telluride Montrose Regional Air Authority subsidizes some flights from Atlanta during ski season, mainly for Telluride and Crested Butte, but it is a reasonable drive to Aspen, too. The Atlanta flights are on Delta.

www.flytelluride-montrose.com/schedules.htm

Edited: 13 December 2012, 14:39
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

Thank you so much!! I will look into that area as well. I went to school in Durango (a long time ago :) so I am familiar with Montrose.

10. Re: Best place to fly in for February break 2013. Need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 09:17