We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
735 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

Hello! My wife and I just returned from a four day stay in the Aspen area. We spent four days in nearby Snowmass Village and in addition to spending a few evenings in Aspen, we did a hike in the Maroon Bells area ... drives up near Independence Pass, Castle Creek, Glenwood Springs (Hanging Lake hike and pool), as well as a longer drive to the towns of Redstone and Marble. We are both in our mid 50s.

I just posted a web album with 49 images of our four days. If you are interested in looking over our shoulders, please go to ...

https:/…

There are explanatory captions with each photo. You may need to click on each photo individually to read them. I have done many such web albums of our travels in recent years and alway enjoy the subsequent interaction with like minded travelers and planners. So fire away with any questions, please! If I made any errors in identifications, please correct me - I will be much obliged.

We have been to Colorado many times, but this was the first time we got to spend any real time in the Aspen/Snowmass area - a very beautiful part of Colorado!

Mike

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

Wow! The combination of your commentaries and your photos make a beautiful album. Such a great area to visit, with so many fun things to see and do. Thank you for posting.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

Your photos and report brought back so many memories from trips my husband and I have taken in that area. One of the first places we visited after retiring from our education careers was the Maroon Bells in the fall. The aspens were gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing your report.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

Your images are beautiful and it looks like you were able to do a ton of exploring while you were here. Below are just a few additions to some of your descriptions.

#3 - The free gondola in Snowmass is called the "Skittles" it runs between the base and the mall areas. There is also the Elk Camp Gondola that takes you (and bikes) to the top of the mountain, but you have to buy a ticket.

#4 - The upper base area of Snowmass is called the mall.

#9 - The large Park near the Wheeler is called Wagner Park.

#12 - Free Parking and RFTA shuttles ($6 and under) to the Maroon Bells is offered from Highlands.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
735 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

aimeeyllanes, Thank you very much for the additions - I heard the names you suggested in the Snowmass gondola area, but couldn't recall them, once home. I am going to add them in to my captions.

Illinois-Traveler, we may just follow your lead and head out to the Aspen area the first autumn we're both retired! I am envious!

Monroe, Connecticut
Level Contributor
124 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

Beautiful photos of Aspen. We are heading there the third week of September and plan on following your guides here. Hopefully, there will be plenty of golden color then! Thanks for posting your pictures and tips!

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

Great photos! We will be in the area at the end of the month, hope my photographs are half as good as yours. Thanks for sharing.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

Wonderful album and it was so nice to see that you actually took time to visit with the people in the towns. McClure Pass in the fall is stunning. A wide expanse of gold, not to be missed. Hope to see some of you there some year.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
735 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

Rav4, Well, you'll be in the Aspen area at the end of September when all the aspens are beginning to light up the mountains, so my guess is your photos will be at least twice as good as mine!

SusieLou, When I was around the McClure Pass area, I definitely noticed the long, wide swaths of aspens and couldn't help but fantasize about being in the area when the "wide swaths of gold," as you say, are in their height of glory. As I teach high school, my opportunity to travel in the autumn is limited, so sadly, as many times as I have been to Colorado, I have never gotten to see such a sight ... ahhh, some day!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,300 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

Thanks so much for sharing! You've got some wonderful photos, and the commentary makes them come alive.

P.S. I hope you don't mind...I also viewed your Italy album, as we're about to take our first trip there. Lovely!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
735 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aspen (and surround area) photo trip report

MissP, of course I don't mind if you peek at other albums ... have a wonderful time in Italy - can't go wrong there! Ahhh, you live in a beautiful part of the country - I'm jealous.