We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aspen in April

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Aspen in April

What can we (2- 70 y/os) do and how do we get around in Aspen the first week in April? We'll be staying in Glenwood Springs. Can we ride the bus to Aspen? Is there a bus to Maroon Bells, the Grottos trail, Ashcroft ghost town, etc? We don't ski.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aspen in April

Yes, there is a bus from GS to Aspen. Info here:

http://www.rfta.com/valley.html

General info about what to do in Aspen:

http://www.aspenchamber.org/

Maroon Bells does not open for traffic till June. Info here:

aspenchamber.org/what-to-do/…

Are you spending the night, or two, in Aspen? Low season and rates will be good. Great shopping, or just looking --what to buy a $10K pair of sunglasses? -- probably not. Some of the best restaurants on the planet. Great time of the year to visit. Weather is warmer during the day. Take the gondola up Aspen Mountain and have lunch on the Sundeck and marvel at the Elk Mtn range view. Great food too.

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aspen in April

Thank you for the information. To be sure that I understand, we can ride the bus to Aspen, but can NOT see maroon bells, or any other sights around town without a car, except for shopping, eating and the Gondola. Is this correct? If we rent a car, can we see MB, ghost towns, waterfalls,etc. I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I don't find the Aspen website very informative for April. Thank you again.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aspen in April

There is a bus shuttle system in Aspen that goes to and from each of the 4 ski mountains --Aspen Mtn in Aspen, Highlands, Buttermilk, and Snowmass. The rfta website link I gave above has that info. Very frequent. Road to the Bells will be closed to all traffic. You can hike it if you want. Not sure what ghost towns you want to see. If it's the one up near Independence Pass, no. That road won't open till Memorial Day or so. The Ashcroft area then yes, but you'll need a car which you can rent at the airport right near town. More links here:

http://www.aspenhistorysociety.com/home.html

aspenhistorysociety.com/ashcroftmuseum.html

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aspen in April

deex9, are you aware the the first week of April is still winter? If this spring is anything like the past 2 snow should cover most of the trails. The web site shows 4/20 as a closing date for skiing. If you are hoping for spring like conditions June is better.

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aspen in April

Thank you for the info.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aspen in April

Seems like you really want to see the bells. They are magnificent in winter. You can get there on a snowmobile from T Lazy 7 Ranch. I prefer x-country skiing to snowmobiles but even I was blown away taking a ride up there.

http://www.tlazy7.com/dir/snow.html

Similarly, all of the other places on your list would be snowmobile access during winter.

There is great bus service to Aspen and Snowmass from GWS until the lifts close and good service after they close.

Texranger gave you good advice about taking the gondola to Sundeck for lunch. It is pricey but unforgettable.

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aspen in April

Thank you . I think I understand Aspen now. We'll probably go there on the bus and see what we can.

shah alam...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aspen in April

Hi I would love to know whether we can skiing in April -May? I'm planning a trip with my kids. The little one 6-10yrs old really want to play with snow n skiing. Sori to interrupt. I'm from Malaysia. Pls let me know a good info about Aspen in April-May. Thx

Edited: 22 December 2013, 09:03
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Aspen in April

Not May. Closing date --weather dependent-- April 20, 2014. Snow will still be around but no skiing after that time. Arapahoe Basin and Loveland Ski are two resorts that should be open until May and later.

www.onthesnow.com/colorado/ski-resorts.html

If more questions, start a new thread.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 13:49
10. Re: Aspen in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16