We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving week-few questions

Orlando
Level Contributor
402 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving week-few questions

We fly in on Sun. the 24th into Denver and get in around 11am. Is that a typically busy day on the roads heading into Aspen at that time? I came across an old post where it was mentioned that Sun afternoon traffic can be a bear, but if I read correctly, I think that was if you were heading East?

I know the mountains won't be open until the 28th and DH hoped to ski that day since we leave on the 29th (purpose of this trip is not to ski, but to spend a quiet, relaxing holiday away with friends in the mountains, plus I don't ski!). Is the first day typically crazy? I've skied ONCE in my life, but am willing to try a bunny slope. Which is better to look into for that, Aspen or Snowmass? Is there such a thing as a one day basic class where I then can "ski" down an itty bitty mountain? Seems crazy to be in Aspen, and not try it if the conditions present themselves! We are staying at the Gant.

Car. We have reserved a SUV since we are 4 adults and I don't pack lightly, but I wonder if we even need it once we get to Aspen. I looked into a shuttle from Denver, but that cost more for the 4 of us roundtrip than our SUV rental. My thoughts were since the bulk of our trip will be during the "sleepy" time before the mountains open, we may want to have transportation for a day trip or two.

Which leads into my last question, day trips. Any recommendations or is the time of year we will be there really not conducive to that sort of thing? This FL girl is concerned about snow and road conditions!

Thanks!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving week-few questions

You are correct, I-70 busy heading west on Fridays and east on Sundays. Should not be a big issue for you.

Snowmass is a great place to learn. How crowded it feels depends on how much snow mother earth has blessed us with, which determines how much terrain is open. In general, not bad.

You will probably not use car much in Aspen in winter. There are buses everywhere and Gant has shuttle. It is more fun to take the bus and you won't have to find parking, although Thanksgiving is not that crowded.

Check out adrenaline ski adventure films in Wagner Park over Thanksgiving.

Glenwood Springs is the typical day trip for the hot springs pool. The bus also goes there. If there is good snow, which Farmers Almanac predicts, then snowshoeing/x-c skiing to Pine Creek Cookhouse for lunch is a better day trip to me.

Orlando
Level Contributor
402 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving week-few questions

Great, thx!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving week-few questions

Having moved here from FL just a few years ago I was concerned about road conditions as well. Unless it is dumping snow, the roads are all clear. They do a great job with plowing out here and you'll be able to get around the valley without a problem. On your drive over from Denver, you might want to stop in one of the small towns along the way for lunch.

Snowmass is a great place to take a lesson and they have enough intermediate/advanced terrain to keep your DH entertained as well. Plus you can meet up for lunch together. The crowds will be minimal during Opening Day. To be honest, it's never really that crowded here and lift wait times are minimal.

If you don't want to go to the Glenwood Hot Springs, check out Avalanche Ranch. It's a small ranch just outside Carbondale on the way to Redstone that has smaller hot spring pools. It'll be a little quieter that the large hot springs pool.

Enjoy your trip!

Orlando
Level Contributor
402 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving week-few questions

Thanks, Aimee! Great suggestions.

5. Re: Thanksgiving week-few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:16