We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route from Aspen to Leadville

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Topic
route from Aspen to Leadville

I'm looking at a map on my computer and it shows Co. - Rte#82 between Aspen and Leadville but it won't route me on that road. It shows going back up to the interstate Hwy for a total of 144 miles for looks like what should be 40 miles if I can use Rte. #82. The question then is,are there any restrictions on 82 this time of year? Thanks..

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: route from Aspen to Leadville

If Independence Pass is open then take hwy 82 out of Aspen to hwy 24, then to Leadville. Abt 60 miles. If closed, then you must go to Glenwood Springs to I-70 which is the 144 miles you speak of.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: route from Aspen to Leadville

How do I find out if the pass is open?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: route from Aspen to Leadville

Go to COtrip.org for road conditions and closures. It's usually open until late October/early November unless there is a snowstorm.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: route from Aspen to Leadville

Thanks....

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: route from Aspen to Leadville

It is a lovely drive. A nice stop is the Lakes Inn in well Twin Lakes.

https://thetwinlakesinn.com/

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: route from Aspen to Leadville

It is a lovely road, but it is a twisty turning mountain pass. Don't expect to go fast, expect to enjoy the view.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: route from Aspen to Leadville

I'm a believer in the visual. Here's a YouTube video of the pass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S0uwRVXMrw

You'll notice at times the road is only wide enough for one vehicle but there are pullouts for the other one to wait while one passes. CO law says the vehicle going uphill has the right of way and the one going downhill has to figure out a way to get out of the way. That may mean backing up. So be cautious, drive slowly, get there safely.

8. Re: route from Aspen to Leadville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:20