We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

Planning a quick weekend trip in Colorado from 7-9 Feb. I've been to Estes Park, Boulder, Denver and Colorado Springs but want to try some place new. We don't want to ski this trip but are looking for a "village" feel with fun places for dinner, maybe great pubs, and a fun "downtown/village" atmosphere to walk around. We're not "nightclub" people. We like ambiance and cozy. Price isn't a factor. It's a couple's weekend btw so romance is helpful! Trying to decide between Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, what am I missing??? Tell me somewhere awesome to go. I need help. I'm the one planning the trip as a surprise, so please advise away! And of course, any suggestions within your location preferences of places to eat/things to check out/places to stay are great also! I know I'm asking a lot. I just can't decide!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Vail
Vail
Colorado
The White House Tavern
££ - £££, American, Bar
Pyramid Bistro
££ - £££, American, International
French Alpine Bistro - Creperie du Village
££ - £££, Austrian, Swiss, French
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,191 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

Since $$ is not a factor I'd look at Telluride too.

You might take a look at this thread too

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k69232…

Mentioned in this post
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

Aspen is a great romantic getaway. There is an airport just outside of town (3 miles) and most hotels provide shuttle service so you won't need a car once you get here. There are some really amazing restaurants to check out such as Plato's, Matsuhisa, Element 47, Chef's Club just to name a few. You can find plenty more on eataspen.com. Plus there is great shopping and a few wonderful spas. Even if you don't plan on skiing you can still find outdoor activities like snowshoe tours or snowcat dinner tours.

Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

Aspen--- Elaine Elias is performing at the Little Nell- Brazilian Piano Jazz vocals on Feb. 8. It will be very romantic.

Brunch at the Pine Creek Cookhouse (requires cab ride or hotel shuttle)

Spa at St Regis Hotel or Aspen Club

Aspen Historical Society offers themed tours of town in an electric car

I have not eaten at Chef's Club but hear good things about it, there are too many good restaurants to narrow without knowing what you are in the mood to eat.

Steamboat is a bit too spread out for me in winter. Breck can be great if you stay right in the core. Bonus there is that you can fly to Denver and drive to Breck which gives you a little more control over weather related impacts to schedule. It looks good in the snow but does not have the history that comes through in Aspen.

If you really want something different and money is no object:

http://www.duntonhotsprings.com

Mentioned in this post
The Little Nell
The Little Nell
461 Reviews
Aspen, CO
Pine Creek Cookhouse
Pine Creek Cookhouse
294 Reviews
Aspen, CO
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

I vote Telluride, staying in town, not Mountain Village where the ski resort is located, or Aspen. Or...for ambience and coziness, you can hardly beat Redstone and Ouray. Redstone is near enough to Aspen and Glenwood Springs that you could visit there, too, but also have the atmosphere of the tiny, historic village. Ouray is our family's favorite romantic getaway, but you might find it a little too quiet...although with the increasing popularity of ice climbing, more businesses are staying open in the winter.

Crested Butte would be a fine choice, too. Breckenridge would be good, too, but Breckenridge's easier access from Denver can make it more crowded. Since you aren't necessarily looking for the cheapest flights, I think you should look further afield from Denver.

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

Well, if it were me and price was no factor I would go to Dunton Hot Springs and eat in Telluride. (My dream Colorado Staycation) Although that may be too remote for your tastes. Crested Butte might fit the bill or Aspen of course.

Mentioned in this post
Dunton Hot Springs
Dunton Hot Springs
291 Reviews
Dolores, CO
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

Oh sorry, didn't notice you already posted Dunton Hot Springs :)

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

Dunton would be wonderful as far as the beauty and romance factor but it is remote and wouldn't have the "village" to walk around. In the summer it's about an hour and a half to Telluride if you wanted to visit, but in the winter it could be quite a bit longer. There are a number of resorts that would be lovely, romantic places to stay, (Devil's Thumb Ranch, Gateway Canyons, among many) but those usually don't have that downtown/village atmosphere with a variety of pubs and dining options.

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

Yeah it is probably a bit too remote, but still my dream Colorado staycation :)

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
9. Re: Weekend trip in Colorado for a Couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 05:18