We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiwear/Layers

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Skiwear/Layers

Hi,

I am going to Aspen for Christmas and have only ever been skiing in Europe before (I'm from the UK).

With regards to skiwear what type of thing should I be wearing? thermals, fleece and then ski jacket?

Also is it so cold that I will need a balaclava? I do feel the cold easily but have only been skiing when all I needed was a scarf. Also is it mandatory to wear a helmet as I am hiring ski equipment so would like to know whether to hire a helmet as well?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiwear/Layers

I usually wear base layers, a fleece and jacket and yes a balaclava or scarf is helpful if it's windy or if you get cold easily.

Helmets are not required for skiing unless you are under 17 and taking a lesson.

Enjoy your time in Aspen.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiwear/Layers

Get a helmet to keep your head warm and safe and forget the balaclava unless it gets bitter, which would be unusual for Dec in Aspen . . . though I'm not predicting what temps will be. Everything else you mentioned will work just fine.

Note: if you're eating in the evening plan early and make reservations. Slots at many of the eats fill up early. And plans for NYE? Lots to do and go but reservations are really a must. Good info an dining guide at:

eataspen.com/blog/aspen-new-years-2014/

Have fun.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,725 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiwear/Layers

Regardless of whether they are required or not, I always ski with a helmet.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,757 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiwear/Layers

Layering is the key. A base layer, mid layer (upper) and ski jacket. Make sure your base layer is "wicking" meaning NOT cotton, polypropylene is common. The North Face calls theirs VaporWick, Patagonia calls theirs Capilene, I like Under Armour. Warm ski socks (SmartWool is a good brand).

Always wear sunscreen and some sort of lip moisturizer/protectant.

Agree with the others about wearing a helmet to keep your head warm and safe. I recently read a report that helmet use has risen and that 67% of skiers and riders in the US wear helmets.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 21:10
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,474 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiwear/Layers

Usually, I wear long underwear and ski pants, wool ski socks, turtleneck, fleece, ski jacket, turtle fur neck gaitor, helmet, ski gloves.

I add or subtract layers depending on the temperature.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiwear/Layers

Thanks everyone this is really helpful

Yes I am going to definitely get a helmet as it's better to be safe than sorry!

One more question if you don't mind. Where is a good place to go on Christmas Eve for a good festive atmosphere, we have a 13 year old girl in our party so if it's a "bar" type place would she be allowed in?

Thanks again!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiwear/Layers

Nightclubs no, but 13 yr old with parents okay to go to bars. A place with old Aspen history (by US standards) would be the Red Onion. Pretty sure they're open on that night.

http://www.redonionaspen.com/

eataspen.com/blog/…

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiwear/Layers

Christmas night there is a fun show of singing and skits at the Wheeler using performers from the defunct Crystal Palace theater. Lots of fun.

9. Re: Skiwear/Layers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 06:17