We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Thanksgiving in Aspen

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
Level Contributor
375 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Thanksgiving in Aspen

We spent a spectacular week in Aspen. Absolutely fell in love! We arrived on Sunday and it was snowing and we felt like we drive into a winter wonderland fairytale. Here are a few highlights:

The Gant - 2/2 deluxe condo with mountain views and washer dryer- FANTASTIC place. Great upscale condo with great service, location and amenities. Highly recommend.

First night we were tired from out 4 hr drive from DIA so we ordered in pizza from Tasters Pizza on the recommendation of the Gantman that helped us with our bags. Spot on! Pizza was delish. Two definite thumbs.

Little Annie's - burger lived up to the hype. VERY good

JBar at the Hotel Jerome- loved this place. Great cocktails, great staff. Spent several hours here. They wanted us to come back. I think they liked our bar tab ;) One of the waiters arranged for a really nice lady from the Historical Society to give us the history of Aspen and the Hotel Jerome. We enjoyed it immensely.

Jimmy's - sat at the bar. Great service. Nice tequila cocktail. Don't order the meatloaf. What can I say? I was craving solid comfort food after an afternoon of imbibing and it did NOT deliver. DH got steak and it was good.

Silver Queen Gondola up Aspen Mountain - definitively worth the $30 pp. Views were stunning.

Sky view Deck - cafeteria with a fireplace and to die for views. Loved it here. I got a grilled cheddar cheese sandwich with bacon and tomatoe. This was not your average grilled cheese. We're talking real French bread. Delish.

Snowmass Village - great place. Got another gondola ride in (included with earlier pass) and had hot cocoa with Baileys and vanilla vodka at the Elk Camp Meadows bar. Nice pit stop.

We skied Snowmass the next day and it was absolutely perfect! Après ski at Base Camp Bar and Grille. Solid place.

Justice Snow - another great bar with really interesting craft cocktails and good appetizers. Great service.

Steak No. 316 - place was packed and we didn't have a reservation and they were still able to seat us right away. GREAT meal here and excellent service. One of the top 2 meals of the trip. Expensive and worth it.

Pine Creek Cookhouse for Thanksgiving dinner- I have mixed feeling about this one. Food, cocktails and service were excellent. What was not was telling us to be there at 4:45 for the sleigh ride up for a resie at 5:30, when in fact, we didn't need to be there until 5:15 because our resie was really at 6. Not a good start. Next, the sleigh ride sounded magical on paper but in reality, open air in 19 degrees, isn't so magical lol! We froze and dreaded having to ride it back. Another huge negative was being herded up at the end of our meal and rushed out to catch the sleigh back. For the amount of money we paid, it would have been nice to linger with an after dinner drink and just enjoy the nice fire and ambiance of the restaurant. We all feel like we missed the biggest draw for this place- the views. It was dark, but what we could see looked like it would be incredible during the day. The sky was clear and I've never seen so many stars in my life. Spectacular.

We spent a day in Vail Village and loved it there also. Had the best meal of the trip for me at Sweet Basil. Off the charts good.

I can't wait to go back to CO. I'm hooked! Aspen was lovely and everyone we encountered there were so friendly.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Thanksgiving in Aspen

Great report! Thanks for taking the time.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Thanksgiving in Aspen

Other than Thanksgiving dinner, it sounds like everything went pretty well. It's nice when it all comes together this early in the season. There are many years when the snow is pretty meager around Thanksgiving.

Try a trip to our state in mid to late January. Many ski areas may offer deals between the busy holidays of Dec and Feb. Besides... snow conditions are usually optimum by then. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Thanksgiving in Aspen

Glad you had a great trip. Sounds like you got a lot done during your stay.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Thanksgiving in Aspen

Enjoyed your report, especially the part about the stars - sounds like you had a wonderful time & thanks for sharing :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Thanksgiving in Aspen

I'll be there in 3 weeks, can't wait. Thanks for taking the time to post, it was helpful for planning my trip.

6. Re: Trip Report - Thanksgiving in Aspen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16