We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Driving Through Colorado

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
312 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Help Driving Through Colorado

Hi everyone. I plan on driving from Denver, CO to Green River, UT in the fall. Please take a look at the routes and sites below and let me know if this is correct and if it is doable.

Fly into Denver, stop in Aspen for the night on the way to Green River. Since Independence Pass is east of Aspen, I’m assuming it would be best to go through it on the way to Aspen. The directions I have are to take I-70W from the Denver airport to 91S to 24S to 82 over Independence Pass. (Will there be signs on 82 pointing to Independence Pass?) At the end of Independence Pass, will I be in the town of Aspen? Can I drive through Independence pass with just a normal passenger vehicle?

The next day, I plan on driving from Aspen to Green River. I would take 82W to I-70W. Will I pass the Maroon Bells on the way back to I-70W? Do you recommend a certain time of day to get the best views and photographs?

Is there anywhere else I should stop on I-70 in Colorado for the scenery? I don’t plan on hiking, just want to see some nice sites and take pictures

All of the routes listed above were taken from Google maps. If there are better routes I should take, please let me know. Thanks.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Driving Through Colorado

PNJM, yes, that route would be the best and most scenic way into Aspen. And yes you will drive right into Aspen coming down the pass. Passenger car should be sufficient unless we get a freak snowstorm at this time, which is not beyond the realm of possibility in late Sept. Colors should be at their best. Should be easy to follow this route.

On your way out of the town of Aspen (next day) will be the road to Maroon Bells. Would be a very worthy stop before you head to Green River. Colorado Ntl Mon outside of Grand Junction/Fruita would be worth another stop.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
312 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Driving Through Colorado

Thanks Powderglut!

3. Re: Help Driving Through Colorado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:17