We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

Was wondering if some one could help me me and my friend are going to aspen for halloween in october,

Never been there before and i don't know any one that has been there either.

was wondering prices for drinks and general holiday spend if it's riduliously expensive or is it same price as vegas and america in general?

Is Sking expensive? and will october be a decent time to go with the weather? Good for clubing in the night clubs for halloween celebrations?

Also silly question but can you still catch the sun there in october?

Before we drove from San Fran to Vegas, this time driving from LA to Aspen, is it about the same time?

Appreciate any help with the amount of questions iv asked lol...

Thank You ;)

Hannah

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

No skiing in October. Not open till after 3rd week of Nov if weather accommodating. Aspen in Oct is pretty dead. re: prices --much much cheaper than London. Info on Halloween 2013 from Aspen Chamber:

aspenchamber.org/blog/….UwS2KSgVr0c

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,201 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

As far as it being sunny in late October...yes, there's a good chance for sunshine. Colorado gets blue skies and sunshine all winter long, even when it is very cold, and it will be mixed in with snow and stormy weather.

It is a much longer trip from Los Angeles to Aspen than from San Fran. to Vegas It is less than 300 miles from LA to Vegas, but over 600 miles from Las Vegas to Aspen (or further, depending on your route). At that time of year, you are fairly likely to have good weather but there's always a chance of snow/icy roads.

Late October is off season at the ski resorts, so things won't be nearly as lively as later in the season when the skiing starts and there are more people in town...but the locals like to have fun at Halloween, too, so you should have fun. However, I would suggest you fly from LA to Denver and spend Halloween in Denver or Boulder...plenty of clubbing there. Then you could take a couple of day trips to Loveland to ski. How much time will you have? You could rent a car and drive to the mountains, maybe including Rocky Mountain National Park and/or Glenwood Springs/Aspen...maybe on to Moab/Arches National Park.

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

Thank You for your reply,

Shame cause we had our heart set on Aspen and weve done vegas for halloween that was amazing!!!

we was sort of expecting snow and every one sking with some big parties ;(

so you think Aspen will be a bit of a ghost town?

Will have 10 nights but we get free flights so flying to LA then driving was then plan?

Loveland? that a ski resort?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

October is fall: Leaves changing colors, cool mornings, crisp afternoons....

I realize that when you think of Aspen you imagine a winter wonderland but it should come as no surprise that (like most places in the world) there are three other season each year including flower filled summers and gorgeous foliage in the fall. If any ski resorts are open at that time it will be VERY early season with only a handful of runs that are skiable. My favourite destination in October is Moab, UT. Cooler weather in the desert at that time fo the year makes for some long fun days of mountain biking, exploring and camping.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

<<< so you think Aspen will be a bit of a ghost town? >>

Yes. May and October are my least favorite months in Colorado. It is the time that most of us go on our holidays. The locals that are left are grumpy that they could not get away.

If you want warm weather, clubbing and a bit of excitement in Oct consider South Beach, Florida. If you really want to experience the Aspen scene come in winter!

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

Thank You for your replies

It's just how i imagined to be....snowy, chilling, loads of people sking..

i still would love to go, thinking of flying to LA (since we get free standby flights) then driving to Vegas, spend Halloween in vegas then after 2 nights in vegas drive to aspen, see a few things along then way and when we want to ski we can drive to loveland ski resort since the opening times are mid october?

Be an experience i think..... or maybe completly reconsider the experience....

if were thinking of going then surely other people on vacation think the same?

South Beach Florida lively that time of year?

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

640 miles from LAS to ASE ... Figure 9+ hours with no stops. There is some scenery the drive would be beautiful. But as other posters have said, don't expect to go skiing, and don't expect Aspen to be lively (as it would be over Christmas / New Years or during the primo skiing times of mid February to mid-March).

If you want scenery, drive to Aspen. If you want to party, fly to Miami / South Beach (Florida)

An interesting website is:

www.overlapmaps.com

It allows you to superimpose countries over countries countries over States, etc., etc., a so you can get a comparison ... Great for people coming from smaller countries who have no clue how big the United States is; they can drop their country on to the USA and get a perspective.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

That is very cool Regajohn!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,201 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

lol, alli, October is just about my favorite month in Colorado!

There is a town called Loveland, but there is also a ski area called Loveland, nowhere near the town. It is a ski area rather than a ski resort. There are several smaller ski areas in Colorado, where people just go to ski. They are usually within easy driving distance of another city or town so are popular with locals. They also are usually quite a bit cheaper than the larger resorts. (The ski resorts have lodging on or very near the slopes, and there's usually a "village" with a variety of lodging, shops, restaurants and bars. Some of them also are near year-round towns, such as Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Crested Butte, Breckenridge, and Telluride.) Loveland Ski Area is one of these ski areas. It is the closest ski area to Denver and people usually drive there as a day trip from the Denver area. That's why I suggested Halloween in Denver or Boulder and then driving to Loveland and other points in Colorado. I'm betting you could get flights to Denver for not much more--if any-- than what it would cost you to rent a car and pay for gas. On the other hand, if you don't mind driving, a road trip can be fun, definitely an experience.

http://skiloveland.com/

http://www.allegiantair.com/

I like Smushie's suggestion of going to Moab.

In the last few years I've been noticing that the "off" seasons are becoming more popular with visitors, so yes, you are correct that if you are thinking of going, then there are others thinking the same! Just not as many as you'll find later in the season, especially Christmas and Spring Break. And some visitors prefer it that way. I went to a "destination" wedding in Telluride in October and it was gorgeous.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,436 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aspen expensive ? snowy /cold? good for clubbing? in october

She started a second thread about skiing tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29141-i591-k72169…