We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ajax Tavern closed?

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
511 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Ajax Tavern closed?

Hi! We usually go to Aspen for a family ski trip around New Year's. One of our favorite places to eat has always been the Ajax Tavern. In looking at restaurant listings, it appears to me that its closed, and is now run by the Little Nell as a lunch-only place. What happened? It was always crowded when we went there for dinner, and seemed to do a booming lunch and bar business also, so I was surprised to see it close. Whats the scoop? Anyone been to the new place? Thanks.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ajax Tavern closed?

Yes, you are correct. It is now operating as "The Tavern" and only during lunch and apres. Much of the menu will remain the same, but it is under the management of the Little Nell. Ajax previously had their own big name chefs such as Dena Marino (now of D19) and Greg Topper (opened Topper's) but in the last couple of years has struggled to retain a high profile chef.

I have not eaten there since the change, but I know people are still talking about the parmesan truffle fries, so things can't be all bad.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
511 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ajax Tavern closed?

Thanks, Jennifer! Its really great to have a local participate on this Board since your information is so much more current.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ajax Tavern closed?

Friends just came back from there this afternoon...it now has a French influence and some great choices. They got the cheese fondue during apres which was said to be a nice treat on a cold afternoon and a lot of fun for a group.

4. Re: Ajax Tavern closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 05:22