We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat?

minneapolis, MN
14 posts
Save Topic
Where to eat?

My husband and I are planning 2 nights at the Tortuga Inn on Anna Maria Island in mid April. We are looking for suggestions for places to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Thanks!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat?

For breakfast, try Gulf Drive Cafe, or the public beach.

Other meals: Sandbar, Beach House, Bridgetender Inn, Rotten Ralph's, Anna Maria City Pier, Rod and Reel Pier.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat?

Maya, I think you will love the Tortuga Inn, we have stayed there many times, are you staying in the old building or one of the new ones? I have not stayed in the new ones, they look awesome though and cant wait to stay there. Anyway, I agree with all of the places that the last post added, I'll break them down for you:

Breakfast: Gulf Drive Cafe - Right on the beach , favorite is the fetta cheese and spinach. Bradenton Public Beach - On sundays they have all you can eat pancakes, very good and fun to people watch. There is also a little cafe on Bridgewalk, cant remember the name but it is really good.

Lunch - You have to go to Duffy's, it is a local gem, it use to be at the location where Skinny's is now until the old man who owned the building passed away and the children would not renew the lease (after 30 years) they now have a hamburger joint there and are capitalizing on Duffy's wonderful, local reputation....they have been at the new place a few years now...they took the same old grill from the old place and so the burgers are just as good and cold, cold, beer!!

Sunset - The best place around for the sunset is at the Sandbar, they have a website you can look at, they have little tables on a deck right on the beach and every day they have a sunset contest where you guess the exact time the sun sets and you can win a bottle of champagne (hint-look in that days paper). Food is good, not great, go for the less expensive stuff, actually the appetizers are the best, good cheese and fruit platter, stuffed bread bowl..it is the atmosphere that makes this place great.

Dinner - All the depends on what you are looking for, for casual I would suggest the Beach House, grouper is always good and the service is fun, young people with hawiain shirt, very up beat, right on the beach. DeCoy Duck is in a plaza near the marina, really good pasta. Upscale, Beach Bistro, it is a five star restaruant with wonderful food and the presenation is unbelievable but it is pricey!! Another really good, a little less expensive than the Bistro but gourmet is the Sign of the Mermaid..fresh dishes prepared every day, looks like a little green house off Gulf Drive but oh is it good.

Nghtcap - The Sun House is at the corner of Bridgewalk and Gulf Drive, walking distance from where you will be staying, you can sit outside on the deck, upstairs and the view of the water is awesome, the drinks are good too, good mojitos, the food is good too if want to go for dinner, it is just a little pricey for what you get in my opinion. Bridgetender Inn, right down Bridgewalk, great beer, always somebody playing a guitar, nice wine list and food is good too! If you really want an experience...with caution.... check out the local bar on Bridge Street called the Drift-In, that iswhere all the salty locals hang out, as you open the door the cig smoke ripples out but it can be a lot of fun to mingle with them, they are harmless actually and the drinks are CHEAP and free pour.

If your room has a kitchen, they have a Publix Grocery store on the Island and you can get wine, fresh fruit, it is a really nice store.

I know you will have a good time and if you have any questions, please ask!

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat?

Hey Maya!

As usual Rusty already said the best...!

You w i l l have a great time on that beautyful island!

@rusty: spinach for breakfast??????

I agree with gulf drive cafe for breakfast! Great on sundays for the pancakes!

Duffy´s seems to be the best burgers on the island...

Didn´t try it but heared a lot! Skinnys has great burgers too but many people just ignore them after the changing :-)

The roof on Bridgestreet/Gulfdrive is great! Nice drinks and good food...

Be careful with the little bar at the end of the Bridgestreet. Cool drinks, live musik but MOSQUITOS :-)) (it´s on the bay...)

If you´re looking for upscale dining then look for the Beach House...

Try the Hurricane Hanks in Holmes Beach... Like this place and a lot to see (when linda is working :-))

And the last one (you only have 2 Nights) is the old hamburg schnitzelhouse... Wolfgang is offering german food and ice cold german beer! But it can be very very crowded there!

Have fun anyway!!!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat?

Floridianer - ooops, I forgot to say "fetta & spinach" OMELET!!! Hey, you got one on me, where is Hurricane Hanks, what is it near and what is it like? I havent heard of it, let me know, thanks.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat?

The Hurricane Hanks is a nice little bar (with a lot of sports-TV!), Icecold Beer and average Food!

It is located on Gulf Drive...

When you come from Manatee Public Beach, pass the School and do the left curve... Then there is the section where the Marina Drive and Gulf Drive meet!

Just there on the left hand site there is Hurricane Hanks...

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat?

Is it in that little strip mall? Not the one where Decoy Duck is but along side the curve, across the street from the Sterling Andvil? We will definately find it and try it out!

essen, germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat?

Yeah, it is there!!!

There is a little sweets shop, a tile store and a gift shop!

And Hurricane Hanks...

Lately there was a little post office 20 meter away!!

Try and have some drinks with margaret and Linda!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat?

We will definately od so ...thank you!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to eat?

The Tortuga Inn is wonderful as you have probably already heard. We stayed there last year for our honeymoon and hopefully will return this summer. We tried many places but I have to say THE SUN HOUSE was our favorite. The person who also suggested it was right...they are pricey however the experience is well worth it. We went for dinner 2 nights in a row. If you sit outside on the balcony you can watch the sunset perfectly as they sing & then ding a gong to celebrate. We had a blast! The food was beautiful & tasted great! For breakfast, we loved PEACH's Restaurant. Their pancakes were yummy & they were the only people to make sweet tea (we're from the south :-) Also check out the BEACH HOUSE...you can eat dinner right next to the ocean!

10. Re: Where to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria