We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"day trip"?

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
758 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
"day trip"?

Hi all,

I was wondering how feasible a trip to Key West or Key Largo would be from Bradenton Beach. Would it be too long for a day trip? I just started thinking that maybe we could go snorkeling in the Keys or something because I am getting paranoid that my boyfriend won't want to stay put and actually relax on vacation! How far of a drive is it? I started thinking because someone commented on a previous post that the water color on Anna Maria Island just doesn't compare to Key West / Key Largo...any thoughts?

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "day trip"?

Gina B, girl you would be planning tooooo much, you are looking at a drive of about seven hours depending on traffic. You can go snorkeling right there at Cedar Cove. The keys are indeed beautiful but so is Anna Maria Island, you would need to choose between the two and since you have reservation already at Anna Maria I dont think you are going to be disappointed. I am a native Floridian, live about an hour and fifteeen minutes away from AMI and I just find it hard pressed to drive 8-9 hours all the way to the keys when I have paradise so close to me! If your boyfriend gets bored, take a drive down thru Longboat Key and go into St. Armands Circle, there is a lot to look at there and you could a day easily. Also, drive over to the bridge and check out Cortez Fishing Village and look at the old boats and have lunch at Annie's. Oh, and as far as water color goes, yes, the keys water is clearer and you can see more sea life because you are at the most southern point of Florida but if you like white sand and aqua water and not soooo many people, you are going to be just fine and I really hope that you come back to this forum to share your experience with us, it's been a long road getting you here and I cant wait to hear how much you loved it!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "day trip"?

Oh Gina B, we will be in Anna Maria this weekend, is there anything you would like me to check out for you while I am there?

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
758 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "day trip"?

Just as long as there's no red tide :)

I know, I am trying to plan too much. I always do this to myself. It's fun, but stressful at the same time. I can't really think of anything other than the red tide right now, but I am sure I will think of something this evening when I go home. I will post again as soon as I think of something. My mind is blank from a hard day at work :)

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "day trip"?

GinaB, I am the same way you are, I plan and plan and plan but the funny thing is when I actually make it to my destination 90% of my plans go out the window and I then I just go with the flow, it drives my husband crazy, he'll say "oh I thought you wanted to do this" and I'll just say "oh, I changed my mind". You know, you never know what your mood is going to be and what the enviroment is, just be open to a change of plans. Suggestion....get you a couple of CD's like Bob Marley or even Jimmy Buffet, pour you a glass of wine and listen......and imagine being on the beach with the sun and sand and water and not having to go to work....RELAX... it will be a preview of how wonderful it is going to be and dont worry about entertaining that boyfriend 24/7.....he will be happy if you are happy!

5. Re: "day trip"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria