We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early planning for kids 9&7!

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Early planning for kids 9&7!

Am planning to visit Florida for 2 weeks in May/June 09! Will get it booked asap this year so need to start researching now. After 2 weeks at Disney we want a week on a beach.

Ideally we'd like to be right on the beach. Not in a hotel, we like the freedom and space of a home-from-home, it doesn't have to be luxurious but it helps! The beach must have safe swimming and room to play in the sand - we take up a lot of space with our frisbee! Aside from that we just like to wander, take the odd trip out - nothing too structured, just time to be together in the sun. We also don't want to be driving for days to reach this last week of our holiday from Orlando! Am I right in thinking Anna Maria Island fits the bill? If so any ideas for great places to stay?

Really appreciate any help. America is a BIG place and I want to get this holiday right!!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early planning for kids 9&7!

Anna Maria Island sounds perfect for you! It's a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive from Disney, depending on traffic. Nothing over three stories (except two buidlings) on the island, and many are 1-2 stories. Free shuttle around. Plenty of wide open spaces on the beach. I really can't recommend places to stay,as I live here instead of vacationing here, but there are several reality agencies that rent homes and duplexes. Also can recommend Coconuts, and small condotel property on a nice stretch of beach. They have some two bedroom places. Good luck!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early planning for kids 9&7!

AMI will fit the bill I`m sure - a great andedote to Orlando where you can relax, wander along the beach and eat in some nice independant restaurants e.g Sandbar, Sun House, Rod ad Reel Pier etc etc.

How many bedrooms do you need ?

There are many condos, houses etc to rent. No where on AMI is far from the beach.

The earlier reply suggested Coconuts. We stayed in a beach front condo here last year. It is a small development of about 14 units around a shared pool. Not luxurious but reasonably furnished. They have one a nd two bed units.

Also look at La Costa ( a relatively large development for AMI but recently refurbished and right on the beach), Bermuda Bay ( 3 bed townhouses with shared pool with a one minute walk to beach), Tortuga Inn, Bradenton Beach Club, or if you want to go upmarket have a look at annamaria.com for really well furnished condos.

Be warned - everyone I know who has been to AMI falls in love with the place and goes back.

We have been going for a few years both before kids and since. We love it as do the kids.

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early planning for kids 9&7!

Kris/Steve

Thanks for the suggestions - will start looking at them now. We'll be looking for 2 or 3 bedrooms. Have noticed prices are slightly donw in May - is this simply demand being lower outside of the Easter/Summer Holidays or is there another reason prices are lower that I should be aware of? Thanks again

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early planning for kids 9&7!

prices are down in May as the peak season is Jan to mid April ( combination of the "Snow Birds" and spring break ). No dodgy reason.

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early planning for kids 9&7!

Steve

Thanks for puttin my mind to rest - appreciate it!

Salem, Indiana
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early planning for kids 9&7!

I think that you will very pleased with Anna Maria.

My husband and I went there for the first time over Thanksgiving. We are hooked. Quiet and laid back. After you have 2 wks at Disney you will be ready for a break!!! We stayed in the Adams Apts. (VRBO 74977) Speak to Judy 941-778-3143. She has 3 homes right together RIGHT ON THE BEACH !!! They are cottage type homes with 1-2-3 BR. Very Reasonably priced. If you stay there the Sandbar is steps away. Great place. You can actually have a table where you can bury your toes in the sand!!! Make sure to have the Calamari. Be glad to rave about it more and more. We have booked one of the houses for a week in July. I am working on getting some of our grown children there with us. The beach is beautiful. I think that you would be very happy there. Be glad to offer more raves if you need them.

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early planning for kids 9&7!

gigisbeach

Wow! Thanks for the help. Houses on the beach sound perfect for us - will check it out immediately. Thanks again!

8. Re: Early planning for kids 9&7!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria