We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

My husband and I are looking to come to Anna Maria Island Aug 1-4. I have a list of several things that I'm hoping to find in a hotel/condo/rental:

1. right on the beach -- a lot of the private home rentals seem to be 1-2 lots in from the beach

2. gulf view from balcony -- I'd like our room to have a balcony/screened porch/lanai.

3. pool right next to beach -- I would love to be able to see the ocean while lounging at the pool.

4. ability to book for ONLY 3 nights

5. free usage of beach chairs/umbrellas

6. bicycles (???)

7. walking/biking distance to local eateries, etc

Can you think of any locations that might qualify? We've never been to AMI, so I'm searching blindly at this point. From what I've found on the forums these places look to fit the bill:

La Costa

Anna Maria Island Club

I've spent HOURS online and I feel like there's so many choices, I don't even know where to start. Thanks!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

Right on the beach -- It's okay -- walking 100 yards to the beach isn't the end of the world.

Gulf view from Balcony -- you know that Anna Maria is not a high-rise area, right? Properties are limited to 2 stories, plus a garage under -- that's it.

Pool right next to the beach -- with hurricanes, shifting beaches, and coastal flooding, Gulfside beaches are the exception rather than the rule. If you build it on the beach, you end up with the beach in the pool.

3 nights -- depends on when you're going.

Free use of beach chairs/umbrellas -- are you looking for a resort, or for a house/villa/condo?

Bicycles -- you'll probably have to rent them.

Walking/biking to local eateries -- no problem.

Anna Maria is a laid-back place to hide from the world for a while -- it's not high-rises and beautiful people.

If you want beautiful people and awesome resorts, you'll have to go to Naples, Sanibel, or Marco Island -- they are targeted more toward that market.

If you just want to go somewhere to get sand in your shoes and watch a great sunset with your family, then Anna Maria is your place.

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

Thanks for the advice. I guess I can clarify a couple of my requests:

1. when I say "right on the beach" I mean I don't really want a rental on the narrow interior portion of the island. i.e. I'd prefer not to have to walk across the street to get to the beach

2. I do realize that there's no high rises. All the condos/hotels I've found online seem to be 1 and 2 stories, but I'd love to have a patio or balcony that we could sit on, enjoy a beverage, see the beach, and the sunset.

3. I guess I'm thinking of all the resorts in Mexico, where the pool sits near or parallel to the beach. A lot of the smaller locations either have no pool at all or it's located next to the parking lot or street. I was hoping to avoid that.

4. most of the homes and condos only seem to rent by the week or by the month. So that's a problem that I'm running into.

5. I have no preference where we stay. But if it's a hotel, I don't want to have to pay $10-$20/day to rent beach chairs and umbrellas.

6. the bikes would just be a nice added bonus. My hubby loves to bike, and I thought it'd be a fun way to get around town.

Yes, I want somewhere laid back, quiet, where you can get the sand in your toes as you stated above. We will be spending the following 5 days at a meeting in Clearwater Beach, so I'm looking for something a little more quiet/laid back for the first 3 days.

Thanks again!!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

Have you looked at Harrington House? Might satisfy a tleast most of your requirements.

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

Ooooh. That looks nice. Plus it includes breakfast! I hadn't seen that one online yet. What would you recommend as far as specific room choices? It's just myself and my hubby. Thanks!

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

Much of what you're looking for is the reason we liked staying at Silver Sands in Longboat Key south of AMI last January. ResortQuest even has a special offer on 4th night free at Silver Sands.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

I would have thought most places would rent for 3 nights in August as it is not high season. You haven't mentioned budget.

Have you looked at Tortuga Inn ( right across from the beach and they do have loungers on the beach for residents use.

Or look at below for some stunning properties, many right on the beach with pools etc ( see Tropical Paradise on this site for balconies overlooking the water as well)

http://annamaria.com/

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

Even though Aug is not busy season, I'm still running into a lot of problems with the 3 day rental thing. I just got an email today from Anna Maria Island Club that said "no" to 3 days. Others have told me that if I wait til 30 day beforehand if it's not booked then I can get 3 days. I'm not a gambler, so I won't risk that. I'll stay somewhere else on the island then!

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

Budget: we're hoping to spend $250/night or less.

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

What about Club Bamboo? Just found that online...

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My list of "requirements" for Anna Maria Island. Help!!!

I would look at Bamboo Apartments, Club Bamboo may be OK now, it's been a while since we have stayed there but it didnt use to be so good.

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria