We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,559 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

I will be vacationing on AMI in Oct 2011 and will be driving from/to Tampa Airport (in a rental car).

In the main this journey is on the I 275 and Google Maps says this a partial toll road which I believe is the toll charges for the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

There has been an article in the travel section of a UK newspaper highlighting the introduction of automatic toll charges on several holiday routes in Florida which means that the option to pay by cash as you pass the toll is no longer available and drivers must buy a "sunpass".

The article directed me to www.sunpass.com which sets out details for the Florida Turnpike but I couldn't find any clear information on whether automatic tolls apply to the I 275.

I want to be prepared as the article highlighted that the rental car companies tend to charge a weekly fee of up to $40 for the inclusion of the "sunpass" in the car.

Do local experts know if automatic toll charges have been introduced, or are expected to be introduced, on the I 275 or will I still have the option to throw my quarters into the bin as I pass through.

Thanks for any replies.

TomC

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

The skyway toll is $1.00 and

payable in cash or by sunpass.

Just hand the bridge attendant

your $1.00 fee, your rental

car does not require the

sunpass option.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,559 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

Newportgrad

Thanks - exactly what I needed to know.

Didn't want to have to get the sunpass for tolls totalling $2 for my journey from/to TPA.

TomC

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

You probably already know this, but just in case ... there are no tolls on I-275 or I-75. The only toll you'll be facing is the $1.00 fee to get over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

October is still a long way off. Ask again nearer the time to check whether cashless has been started.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,960 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

THAT $1 is probably one of the best values in florida. the view from the top is fantastic.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,559 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

Thanks to all

Chuts - Good idea to check nearer Oct to see if it's changed.

Amanx - Agree its a great view

TomC

Renfrewshire
Level Contributor
210 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

Hi all,

I have a similar question, we will be driving from Orlando to Tampa (Busch Gardens) and Orlando to Anna Maria. Will we encounter any cash free tolls on these routes?

Thanks

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

Orlando to AMI there are no tolls. Take I 4 to I 75 south. Get off at I 275, take first exit from there, and head south, to Bradenton. Turn right on Manatee Ave, West, and you will be at the island.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,559 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

kris48

For clarification purposes whilst I understand that I 4/ I 75 / I 275 are not toll roads in the true sense there is a toll of $1 to be paid for crossing the Sunshine Skyway Bridge on the I 275 which can at present be paid in cash.

TomC

Renfrewshire
Level Contributor
210 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tampa to Anna Maria Island - Toll Charges

Thanks folks,

Nice to know we don't have to pay a fortune for a sunpass at the car rental place just to use one or two tolls. We always keep a load of quarters in the car for the tolls and it works fine for us. Hope everywhere doesn't go cash free eventually.

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria