We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seaside or AMI

Mississippi
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
seaside or AMI

Girls annual vacation..our past travels are Maui, St Martin, cruises, and Hilton Head. Thinking of staying closer to home this year Mississippi) and looking for nicest beaches, relaxed atmosphere and not too touristy.. Looking at Seaside, Captivia, AMI.. any help would be appreciated... 50 and fun!!!!

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seaside or AMI

You don't say when you are going, as that can possibly make a difference as to crowds, etc. Having been to all 3, I like the beaches at AMI and Seaside best. Captiva water is just not as clear and the sand is not as white and soft as AMI and Seaside. CAptiva has a few nice places in the city part for food and a little shopping, but you probably will go to Sanibel for more choices. Captiva is upscale. Probably will need a car.

Seaside has close to clear Caribbean water, but be careful if going in the summer like June/July, June grass comes in there and can be a bit of an issue sometimes (it is this green slimy cotton ball stuff which can be thick sometimes) It comes and goes during those months. Seaside can be pretty crowded in the summer as well. it is beautiful and upscale though. Restaurants and shopping in the square. Might want to have a car to expand your restaurant/shopping choices.

AMI is more relaxed and has a more retro vibe since a lot of places, especially in the north end were built in he 50's and 60's. Beaches are white, water can be very clear as well. Depending what part of the island you stay, beaches are not as crowded. Public beaches can be pretty crowded on the weekend. Plenty of shops and restaurants on the island and the free trolley to get around.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
558 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seaside or AMI

I love the beaches of South Walton county and Seaside is a pretty town and has good options of shopping, eating and drinks in the town sq-that being said, in the summer there are TONS of kids running around so if this is a girls trip and you're not wanting to do the family/kid scene, Seaside may not be for u. I go with my girlfriends every year and stay 2 miles away in Seagrove but we take the kids; hubs and I also go to Seagrove and enjoy it but it doesn't have the town center with kids running around everywhere. Like was said before June grass can be an issue in the summer-it certainly was last summer!

Hubs and I are looking at AMI for this May and it looks great. We also love Key West and I think that would be a great girls trip since it's walkable/bike-able with great food and bars.

Hubs and I stayed in Sanibel Island for a few days about 3 years ago and it was dead, we drove up to Captiva one day and it didn't thrill me either and imo the rental options were pretty worn down for the prices. Water was nice but beaches are shelly. Sanibel closed down at about 9pm.

Indy
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seaside or AMI

We did a girls trip to Siesta Key last year. Great fun. More nightlife than AMI if that makes a difference.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,552 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seaside or AMI

Seaside is nice, but it is new and fairly 'invented'. AMI is real 'old florida' (and w/o the June grass).

Time of year will make a big difference to costs, crowds, and weather.

Anna Maria Island
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: seaside or AMI

Hi!

Anna Maria is a great place for a girl friends get-a-way! There are great spas, beautiful beaches, delicious eateries and relaxed places for dancing and nightlife.

BeachBumsAMI

6. Re: seaside or AMI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:23
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria